Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Regulations 2020-2022

Re: Regulations 2020-2022

Am I the only person bummed out that it is no longer legal to hunt a big game animal with anything other than a rifle, shotgun, muzzle loader or bow? I am actually serious... hear me out.

I mean, admittedly I can't even kill a deer with a rifle to save my life, but I always liked the idea of spear hunting some day. Now this is no longer a legal possibility.

Was spear hunting that much of a problem that animals were actually being injured / lost / wasted?

I wrote in about this regulation change requesting any sort of data supporting a need for the change. Never received a reply, so I am guessing the answer is just more feel-good political pandering (ie: make people thing there is a problem... bambi suffering... make being think you saved bambi... win votes, yay)
    Last edited by caddisguy; 07-06-2020 at 05:29 PM.

It’s more like, one or two people posted spear hunting on Social media. The snow flakes were appalled that our meat doesn’t come from pixie dust, like theirs produced commercially... they became the vocal minority again complaining until the virtue signalling government swoops in saves the day and buys some more votes !voila, that’s how Canada works.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    It’s more like, one or two people posted spear hunting on Social media. The snow flakes were appalled that our meat doesn’t come from pixie dust, like theirs produced commercially... they became the vocal minority again complaining until the virtue signalling government swoops in saves the day and buys some more votes !voila, that’s how Canada works.
    Sounds about right

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
    Enjoy your season too. Just 7 more weeks to archery elk. The best ten days of the year.
    No doubt....crazy its that close already!

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    Originally Posted by Rackmastr
    Even without going to the Act, the regs state that its "unlawful to bait ungulates". Nothing nuanced about who places the bait.
    So in Region 4 would all those hay, grain fields off limits to hunting as they could be classified as "bait sites"
    Baiting also implies intent imo. If the crops are planted to attract, they are bait. Try proving intent in court.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    My guess is the most part they wont, as it was my understand that local bios have not approved of the actions for a little while, but yep it gives them a lot of freedom to react appropriately.
    Salmo bighorn feeding comes to mind.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Salmo bighorn feeding comes to mind.
    For sure, really good point I hadn't considered

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Spear hunting would technically be legal in many of the more rural cities/towns where they have firearms bylaws but didn't ban hand thrown spears or blowguns etc. It was a feasible way to rid the town of a few urban deer

Quote Originally Posted by wifigary View Post
    Spear hunting would technically be legal in many of the more rural cities/towns where they have firearms bylaws but didn't ban hand thrown spears or blowguns etc. It was a feasible way to rid the town of a few urban deer
    This is my line of thinking as well. With more and more restrictions surrounding firearms and bows in municipalities, road distances on crown land, etc. that spear hunting could trend towards being a more common method of harvesting game.

It is up close and personal by nature. I would doubt a close up jab or short spear throw is any more susceptible to inflicting unnecessary suffering or resulting in loss/waste any more so with a rifle or bow at distances. Any method used comes down to the individual acting responsibly.

Summary is that I believe we have just watched a method of hunting / wildlife management that is positioned to become more relevant in coming years "nipped in the bud" (banned) without any justification or data presented.

That being said, our wildlife policy is dictated by a government which has repeatedly stated quite publicly and boldly that their wildlife decisions are based on "social acceptance" (not necessarily science, data, best interest of wildlife management, ecosystems, etc) so I guess we should not really be all that surprised.

As it stands, spear hunting is no longer an option in BC.

(blow guns are a different story... I believe these are considered prohibited weapons Canada wide, so it has not been an option in recent history)

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Baiting also implies intent imo. If the crops are planted to attract, they are bait. Try proving intent in court.
    Going to be interesting for sure .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......