Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Regulations 2020-2022

Re: Regulations 2020-2022

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Screw all the technology. How about we all just lace up the boots with a rifle over our shoulders and go hunting?
    If you are unable to do that, go for a drive and enjoy your time in the field.
    Ethics, fair chase...
    Very well said.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

So you're saying if it's there previously that it's not bait?
    No, i am saying it was put there legally, prior to the new reg, so it was legal then, and probably still us now, as long as no more salt is added.
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    No, i am saying it was put there legally, prior to the new reg, so it was legal then, and probably still us now, as long as no more salt is added.
    Gotcha. For a bit more context here is the text of the rationale against baiting in the kootenays as there are confirmed cases near there:

Proposed Regulations:*

Prohibit the intentional feeding or baiting of ungulates in the Kootenay region.

Rationale:*

Wildlife managers and professionals have confirmed through research that feeding and baiting of wild ungulates can lead to increased wildlife densities. A higher density of animals increases the potential for transmission of infectious parasites and diseases such as Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) transmitted by fecal – oral routes, nose to nose contact or through contact with a contaminated environment. CWD prions are shed though the saliva, urine and feces of infected animals and are essentially impossible to destroy once the infectious protein enters the environment. Aggregations of cervids infected with CWD create prion transmission hot-spots from increased prion exposure. Preventing feeding and baiting will help manage wildlife health, including CWD infection and reduce the magnitude of disease outbreaks in general.* CWD in cervids is the wildlife health programs highest priority with recent positive cases of CWD near Libby, Montana (68 km south of USA/Canada border).

In addition, other health issues ay be caused be feeding and baiting. Inappropriate or sudden changes in feed can cause digestive tract upsets in wild ungulates, and increasing the density of other species such as bighorn sheep by feeding can increase the risk of potential for contact with domestic sheep and respiratory disease transmission.*

Preventing feeding in urban areas is also recommended to manage wildlife conflict in urban areas where feeding can contribute to high densities of deer. Intentional feeding of wild ungulates is contributing to wildlife conflict in urban and agricultural areas across the Kootenay Region.

Prohibiting feeding and baiting of cervids is a standard wildlife management response to wildlife health risks, especially for CWD and other transmissible diseases such as bovine tuberculosis. A prohibition on feeding ungulates will reduce the potential for CWD transmission and should help reduce wildlife conflict in problem areas being consistent with urban bylaws in the Region.

So you're saying if it's there previously that it's not bait?
    No it's more nuanced. The rule says YOU may not bait. If someone baited or you previously baited your not in breach of the rule.

Even without going to the Act, the regs state that its "unlawful to bait ungulates". Nothing nuanced about who places the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    Even without going to the Act, the regs state that its "unlawful to bait ungulates". Nothing nuanced about who places the bait.
    agree and that's my take as well. Good luck to anyone trying to use the "honestly officer, it wasn't me" excuse when they get caught hunting reg4 deer or elk over bait "new/old or otherwise"
    Last edited by Ron.C; 07-06-2020 at 07:03 AM.

fozzy is offline hunting 4 a decent Mulie

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest the Land View Post
    Where did you read this? I just read through the new regs and didn't see anywhere where it says we can't bait or use salt/licks for deer while hunting?

You had me worried as I have a couple of active bait sites. Glad they didn't change that reg. And glad they didn't say we can't use scopes on our crossbows during bow season - was scared for that one too
    Under its unlawful:
    18. To intentionally feed or attempt to feeddangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolfand bear), except when lawfully engaged inhunting or trapping where baiting is authorized (cougar, coyote and wolf only).

Screw all the technology. How about we all just lace up the boots with a rifle over our shoulders and go hunting?
    If you are unable to do that, go for a drive and enjoy your time in the field.
    Ethics, fair chase...
    I would absolutely agree with this. Very well said.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post

The nuance is when the bait (salt) was placed.. Prior to the reg change or not

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    agree and that's my take as well. Good luck to anyone trying to use the "honestly officer, it wasn't me" excuse when they get caught hunting reg4 deer or elk over bait "new/old or otherwise"
    It does not say it is illegal to hunt over bait.