Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ottawa Criticized over BC Sport Fishing Restrictions

Exclamation Ottawa Criticized over BC Sport Fishing Restrictions

The federal government’s restrictions on chinook salmon for recreational fishing this year are not grounded in scientific evidence and will do little to stop the decline of chinook stocks, says a University of British Columbia (UBC) fisheries scientist.

https://biv.com/article/2020/04/otta...g-restrictions

Related paper co-written by the man being cited: https://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi...1#.Xs1kkjl7nct
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ottawa Criticized over BC Sport Fishing Restrictions

"Ottawa" Nuff said!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

So honestly what the phuck do we have to say good about the ******s in Ottawa? It's a pretty short list.
    "Gun control"...... is hitting what you aim at!!!!

I suggest the decline in recreational salmon fishing is a direct result of political correctness,they refused to acknowledge,ordo anything about the exponential increase in pinoped predation,( up to 700%) because they didn’t want to incur the wrath of the ‘save the seals’protestors,and they would rather see the whole recreational salmon fishery die rather than do what California did, embarque on a massive hatchery program that has totaly restored their highly successful Chinook fishery to numbers not seen in decades.We went the ‘wild salmon’route( do nothing) and got exactly that- nothing .I drove out to Sooke a couple of days ago and the marina is virtually emptyy...this used to be the premium time to go after those 40 lb ‘smilies’

In the absence of any federal culling programs to control seal and sea lion populations,
    The last time I fished salmon it was around Texada Island. I had 5 hookups and got 1 to the boat., seals got the rest. A couple years ago I was at the fishery's pool on the Atnarco river and there were 4 seals away up there feeding on Salmon fry as the fry came around the rock at the head of the pool. The bay by Bella had lot's of seals with a couple Sea Lions thrown in for good measure, I won't talk about Native nets in the river and what SOME of the natives do with that fish.

I am still trying to understand why we need the Federal government to regulate our fisheries
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    I suggest the decline in recreational salmon fishing is a direct result of political correctness,they refused to acknowledge,ordo anything about the exponential increase in pinoped predation,( up to 700%) because they didn’t want to incur the wrath of the ‘save the seals’protestors,and they would rather see the whole recreational salmon fishery die rather than do what California did, embarque on a massive hatchery program that has totaly restored their highly successful Chinook fishery to numbers not seen in decades.We went the ‘wild salmon’route( do nothing) and got exactly that- nothing .I drove out to Sooke a couple of days ago and the marina is virtually emptyy...this used to be the premium time to go after those 40 lb ‘smilies’
    It's amazing how much better fish and wildlife is managed in the USA compared to here in BC.....

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    It's amazing how much better fish and wildlife is managed in the USA compared to here in BC.....

No kidding. It's sad to see as BC has so much potential.
    "There'll be no quitters, till we bag some critters"
    WSSBC - RMGA - BHA - CCFR

I understand the Alaskans manage their own fishery rather than rely on US Feds.

Fisheries need to be managed at a local level with input by people on the water not by politicians 2500 miles away