Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wildlife Management, BC vs US

Re: Wildlife Management, BC vs US

I think anybody moderately educated on the subject will agree that the excise taxes south of us are a huge contributor to the success of wildlife management.

However, there was a discussion on this site in the near past posing the question: would BC hunters support an excise tax in this province? The answer from a surprising majority was a flat NO.

I understand a mistrust of government money management, but if as a group we cannot get behind a proven winning strategy the future may be bleak.

[QUOTE=two-feet;2184450]I think anybody moderately educated on the subject will agree that the excise taxes south of us are a huge contributor to the success of wildlife management.

However, there was a discussion on this site in the near past posing the question: would BC hunters support an excise tax in this province? The answer from a surprising majority was a flat NO.

I would be in favor of a similar funding model to what works in the U.S. states. Lets start with our Licence fees, leh fees,and tag fees to start with as was proposed by the previous Govt.But I believe to raise the funds necessary we need to look at the taxation model in the states, and because we are paying it gives us a voice. Better protections for wildlife must be built in to the forestry act particularly in regards to winter range and spur road deactivation.It doesn't feel to me like anyone speaks for wildlife in a meaningful way at the Forest Service. Ranchers and developers also have to get on board in this regard. Every year there is less and less wild land in B.C. for wildlife. Can't have one without the other.

Maybe have the Fees go to a Society.
    Example, the Freshwater Society, that basically comprises of Bios and members who all fish.
    Need the same for Wildlife, that comprises of hunters mainly, or "pro hunting".

Last thing I want is it going to a society that is full of antis.
    At least Hunters would try to ensure good #'s of game for hunting which also benefits everyone else who wants to view them etc.

All the money would have to change hands, not stay in the political coffers, and then be managed from there.
    Everyone would have access to the #'s, everyone would have access to where every $ was spent and how.
    "All above board".
    And a environmental tax/fee on all outdoor equipment for all purposes, whether hunting or hiking type recreation etc, should be instituted.
    But, only when we have a Society "INPLACE"!