Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Thieves on the Tulameen River FSR

Re: Thieves on the Tulameen River FSR

Yes, there are "looky lews".
    Don't know why, but some folks are just plain "curious" but not thieves, however, if I were to come around a corner, they may have wished they hadn't got up that morning!
    (and it would be a shame if they were just curious minds and not thieves as I doubt I would believe them at that moment in time)

And yes, most thefts are from a "small group" folks working an area!

So yes, GET CAMS, put them in location that are well hidden and one or 2 down the road, in case the camp ones are found!
    Because many of these thefts are done by a small group, getting them charged and the word out there it's them really helps!!
    Also, if convicted, you can "personally have their names"!!! as they will be documented for public record, and deal with them any way you want some day down the road

Get then F'ers off the roads!! get pics and film, protect your gear!!

A couple of years ago I was alone in camp.I was nursing a cold.I hear a truck pull in thinking it was my guys it was not.Two guys in a beat to shit Tundra pulled in and started looking around.They went and checked the Moose hanging then proceed to notice the keys in my quad .One guys says lower the tail gate help me get this quad in.He says lets take the generator too.That's when I popped out with a shotgun and asked if I could help. They just about shit themselves and started telling me they came looking for a friend who said he was camped some where near here. I said oh whats his name? as I new everyone who was around. They gave me some name and said they would keep looking.I pumped the shot gun and said ok don't come back here as I am the friendly one. The others are not going to be as polite.

lucky for me in my case i was hunting and put my rifle on a tree before i approached i wouldnt dream of chambering a round near a theif that would be illiegal.
    it was weird when he fell my buddy tripped over him shitty for the theif his steel toe boots seemed to contribute to his injurys during the fall. we would strike said theif and risk charges.

learnt this lesson years ago same theif arrested 7 times on job site back in there stealing 24hrs later...one day theif tripped split his face open and my security guard found him onconcious.he was hauled away in ambulance cuffs on..weird

Better get used to swinging a sack of door knobs because,, if Idiots get their way the Police will be defunded, requiring the Citizenry to take matters like justice, into their own hands.

I've been camping in BC since '65. The only "camp robbers" we have ever had were whiskey jacks.

Stayed in tents or other shelters until the end of the 60s & then living in campers since.

Sometimes I leave a message on a note in big letters attached to the camper door like "Gone for a short walk or ride -Will be back soon".

Have come across a few camps where an old timer was the camp cook & a guard from potential thieves &/or animals. Always had a friendly encounter.

We never met hunters that had their camp broken into or robbed.

Camping near busy roadways with easy access/escape one is asking for trouble.
    Our camps are usually located in secluded areas far from local traffic.

Here’s our typical campsite layout-As seen in the photo some of our food, clothes, gas, diesel, propane …..are stored under a large tarp with a side tarp to partially enclose it.
    The chainsaw/s, generator/s & extra gun/s are locked in the camper.

We never had a bear problem either.

We always leave 3 or 4 chairs that surround the campfire.
    Also we always carry cameras & sat phone & SPOT if needed.

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Saturday my Son drops into our Tulameen cabin, he's spent the prior days camping on the Tulameen River FSR and driving along Lodestone, Lawless and roads in between looking for a bear. Seen lots, didn't see what he liked yet and drove into Tulameen for gas and some TUC Tape for needed vehicle repairs. Pops in for a chat and a coffee then he heads to Coalmont, down Lodestone to his site, a small Rec Site.
    Gets to the site, there's a guy and a motor bike sitting in his site, at his campfire, burning his wood. WTF ??
    He calmly gets out, walks up behind the guy and asks politely what he's doing. When Son goes on a solo hunt for a few days he looks like something out of Deliverance so the guy is a bit shocked.
    Guy said that when he arrived the site was empty other than a stack of firewood. Son then asks where his camp cot, stove, axe and a number of other items were? Guy doesn't have a clue. They look around the site and pretty well all that was left were his 2 jerry cans of gas.
    So, he lost his cot and such, fortunately that morning he had put his tent and bedding in the truck in case it rained while he was gone and he always keeps his cooler in the truck because of critters.
    So home to Princeton he went, not very happy.
    Guess there are Bass Turds everywhere.
    That’s what happens when you tell everyone to come to your area from large urban areas your going to get some bad apples. Not everyone on social media is your friend.

Sorry to hear about your son's loss. I have been lucky over the last 40 years with no issues.

This has me a bit worried as 4 of us won a group LEH in 7-28 for 2 moose this fall. 4 man camp with three weeks supplies. We will need to bring 250 liters of extra gas and a ton of equipment. We were planning to split into two groups as we have e-scouted 14 prime locations and will be on site for up to two weeks. If we were robbed while out all day, it could be a life threatening issue as we would not have enough fuel to get back out.

Looks like we will need to change it up and make it a three man hunt while one stays back at camp each day. Unfortunately this will cut our chances of tagging out by half, but the advantage is a well prepared meal waiting at the end of each day. Odd man out might be able to fish the lake we camp at as well. Fresh trout always make a good meal. With one guy staying back, we should always have a good supply of firewood and a clean camp as well.

It's a shame we need to worry about such things, but your story (and others on this thread) has made me think it over and the risk in our case could be life threatening.

Quote Originally Posted by antlerking View Post
    That’s what happens when you tell everyone to come to your area from large urban areas your going to get some bad apples. Not everyone on social media is your friend.
    The area involved wasn't quite a quick trip off the COQ or anything like that, one would have to be familiar with the area so quite possibly a Local.
    It's interesting tho' that within a few days of this there were reports in the Princeton area of an old SUV with Alta plates allegedly swiping things from a Municipal Camp Ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Banker View Post
    Sorry to hear about your son's loss. I have been lucky over the last 40 years with no issues.

This has me a bit worried as 4 of us won a group LEH in 7-28 for 2 moose this fall. 4 man camp with three weeks supplies. We will need to bring 250 liters of extra gas and a ton of equipment. We were planning to split into two groups as we have e-scouted 14 prime locations and will be on site for up to two weeks. If we were robbed while out all day, it could be a life threatening issue as we would not have enough fuel to get back out.

Looks like we will need to change it up and make it a three man hunt while one stays back at camp each day. Unfortunately this will cut our chances of tagging out by half, but the advantage is a well prepared meal waiting at the end of each day. Odd man out might be able to fish the lake we camp at as well. Fresh trout always make a good meal. With one guy staying back, we should always have a good supply of firewood and a clean camp as well.

It's a shame we need to worry about such things, but your story (and others on this thread) has made me think it over and the risk in our case could be life threatening.
    fuel cache way behind camp camo tarp..go hunt

I have hunted 8-5 area for a very long time....

For awhile it was a well hunted area with many camps....

Never was a problem, never has been a problem, but like anywhere, get closer to areas where lots of people frequent, you will run across the odd bad apple.

Just like hunting, get off the beaten path as far as camps go. We have had a problem there, but got robbed/attempted to be robbed 3x in 7-11