Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thieves on the Tulameen River FSR

Re: Thieves on the Tulameen River FSR

I went for a overnight stay at pierce lake and my window got smashed out by the time i got back. nothing stolen.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Several years ago I was coming out of the back eastern part of Sylvester road area when I saw an older small white
    car quickly turn around and drive like a maniac back out the way they came which made me suspicious. As I got down
    past Davis lake I saw 3 vehicles parked along the road with smashed windows. That white car was too far away for
    me to get it's tag but as it was a rather distinctive looking vehicle I logged it into my mind. I saw it again driving fast
    up Keystone road with 3 young men inside. Sure enough, a couple of vehicles parked on Hayward Road had smashed
    windows. Awhile later I went for a run along the dikes in Pitt Polder, parking at the far end of the big lot by Harris Road
    and the Alouette River. I was the only car there, and as I was changing into street wear in the back seat of my car I hear
    a car rapidly approaching. It was the same car! Just as the car got close the driver saw me sit up so spun around and
    sped out of the lot toward the highway. I can't remember now, but I did get part of it's plate numbers and went to the
    RCMP to report. Never heard anything, and I never saw that car again. This why I used to believe that most of the
    break-ins years ago were being done by just a few individuals.

It’s my worst fear coming back from hunting and having my stuff stolen or truck broken in. Hasn’t happened yet , knock on wood but I set up a trail camera to hopefully get anyone if they decide to steal
    Member of CCFR

I have never had anything swiped while actually camping, but, a major breakin in our former home in East Van. resulted in the loss of some of my finest and most costly gear and certain items had great sentimental value as well.

Only an imbecile would breakin to our current place as Rottweilers strongly object to such behaviour and will attack miscreants.

I now NEVER camp in campsites and always conceal my camp thoroughly. I am ALWAYS armed as well and trust nobody I do not know well.

I always camp where I can see my rig from a distance and potential thieves need to be extra balsy to walk up to an exposed camp.
    I hide valuables like my spare rifle, chainsaws, etc....I hope I don't catch anyone stealing from me.

caught a gentlemen prying my back window open way up harrison west past the lake.
    just started my hike when i heard a two stroke dirt bike pull up to my truck.

his name was mitch and he already had jail tattoos.

i stalked up on him like a deerand yelled what are you doing...?
    he fell out of my truck onto some rocks ended of with broken ribs on both sides and a pretty smashed up face.
    weird part was his shoes fell off when he fell than we couldnt find them?weird.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    caught a gentlemen prying my back window open way up harrison west past the lake.
    just started my hike when i heard a two stroke dirt bike pull up to my truck.

his name was mitch and he already had jail tattoos.

i stalked up on him like a deerand yelled what are you doing...?
    he fell out of my truck onto some rocks ended of with broken ribs on both sides and a pretty smashed up face.
    weird part was his shoes fell off when he fell than we couldnt find them?weird.
    Yes, sometimes 'accidentally' falling down onto rocks and sharp objects is the only thing that
    will deter some from being in that situation again. Unfortunately not enough of those lowlifes
    are 'clumsy.' You have to be careful when 'witnessing' such incidents though...3 times over the
    years I've been strongly advised that there's a fine line between being a 'witness' and being
    charged with excessively 'witnessing.'

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    Yes, sometimes 'accidentally' falling down onto rocks and sharp objects is the only thing that
    will deter some from being in that situation again. Unfortunately not enough of those lowlifes
    are 'clumsy.' You have to be careful when 'witnessing' such incidents though...3 times over the
    years I've been strongly advised that there's a fine line between being a 'witness' and being
    charged with excessively 'witnessing.'
    Yup, I wonder how we would react if we rounded a corner on a trail while hunting and saw somebody "interested" in the truck.
    Obviously we would be armed which presents some "interesting" possibilities, none of which would be advisable.
    In the situation that I addressed in the original post, I'm glad my Son didn't approach the guy in his site carrying his rifle. The guy was innocent but toss a rifle into the equation and who knows where it could've gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Yup, I wonder how we would react if we rounded a corner on a trail while hunting and saw somebody "interested" in the truck.
    Obviously we would be armed which presents some "interesting" possibilities, none of which would be advisable.
    In the situation that I addressed in the original post, I'm glad my Son didn't approach the guy in his site carrying his rifle. The guy was innocent but toss a rifle into the equation and who knows where it could've gone.
    Yes, sometimes actions are like words spoken in the heat of an argument, they can't be taken back.
    Fortunately for me 2 'falling down' victims were well known to the police and I was given the benefit
    of the doubt to how much I had 'witnessed.'

Whenever I park my truck near my camp / Tent I leave this note in the window

“I”m a hunter and have a rifle with a scope - if you are reading this right now - there’s a very good chance you are in my cross hairs”

I have never lost anything from my camp or had my truck vandalized in 15 years of camping in BC
    I have walked in the footstep's of elephants, heard lions roar and met the Cape buffalo on his own turf - I'm blessed to be born African - And proud to be a Canadian!