Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Sheep Pack Weight

Re: 2020 Sheep Pack Weight

How much water do u guys pack? it’s always a dicey maneuver. I try to pack my one litre nalgene and keep it as full as possible, especially if I know there’s water ahead. I seem to always have some back up water in my pack, but it’s probably the thing that bothers me the most.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by tdot View Post
    Tracking Skin-out weight is important, IMO. If your legs are having to move it up a hill, there's minimal difference if it is on your chest, ass or backpack. Weight on you feet and legs make a difference vs. Your backpack.

My skin-out weight is 68-70 pounds, including everything I wear, bino harness, 10 days of food, optics, rifle and 3L of water.

But my backpack is only 24 pounds, so roughly 1/3 the total weight.
    I understand where you are coming from, but it the same note not many guys backpack into the mountains naked from the drop point so its kind of a moot point. You are wearing clothing and boots no matter what so your metric and the reason for tracking weights is somewhat skewed. Doesn’t really make any difference in the long run if you use the same variables trip after trip though.

I would hazard a guess that most guys don’t factor in the weight of the clothes they are wearing when discussing packed weights for X number of days though.

Personally, I’m usually trying for as close to 50lbs as I can get with food and 1-2l (or 3, depending on temperature and availability along the way) of water for 7 days, not counting rifle and bino’s and clothes on me and hiking poles in my hands. Good boots and poles reduce effort required to carry weight, so they have zero net impact on pack weight in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    I understand where you are coming from, but it the same note not many guys backpack into the mountains naked from the drop point so its kind of a moot point. You are wearing clothing and boots no matter what so your metric and the reason for tracking weights is somewhat skewed. Doesn’t really make any difference in the long run if you use the same variables trip after trip though.

I would hazard a guess that most guys don’t factor in the weight of the clothes they are wearing when discussing packed weights for X number of days though.

Personally, I’m usually trying for as close to 50lbs as I can get with food and 1-2l (or 3, depending on temperature and availability along the way) of water for 7 days, not counting rifle and bino’s and clothes on me and hiking poles in my hands. Good boots and poles reduce effort required to carry weight, so they have zero net impact on pack weight in my mind.
    That is doable, but tight and is about what my 5-7 day exploration packs would weigh in the '70s, '80s and '90s for solo wilderness treks. often no gun, but optics, field manuals and fishing gear. This is plenty in really tough country like traversing the Valhallas or crossing Earl Grey Pass.

Gear is lighter now for those who can afford the best, but, people carry stuff I would never have packed or which was not available.

I agree that most guys don't track it, but if you're going to spend time and energy counting grams, it's best to have the whole picture. Cutting weight can be an expensive endeavor, why spend that time and energy and then lose ground by unknowingly wearing pants that are 1/2 pound heavier then other options you may have. Shirts, gaiters, etc., crap in a bino harness, it all adds up and can easily cancel out all your hard work.

Hunting is the only sport I'm involved in where people only count part of their gear weight. Everyone is welcome to do what they want, but it's such an easy way to save weight or add weight, that I keep track of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    How much water do u guys pack? it’s always a dicey maneuver. I try to pack my one litre nalgene and keep it as full as possible, especially if I know there’s water ahead. I seem to always have some back up water in my pack, but it’s probably the thing that bothers me the most.
    I carry as little as possible and tend to drink as much as I can at easy water sources. But generally 1L minimum if I know the area. Add a liter if it's warm. Add a liter if I dont know the water sources in the area and intend to overnight. Then if I'm going up high, I'll add 2-3 liters per day I want to stay up high and don't want to have to worry about water.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Pack 2 liter camelback and 1 liter canteen until i figure out the water sources

Quote Originally Posted by tdot View Post
    I agree that most guys don't track it, but if you're going to spend time and energy counting grams, it's best to have the whole picture. Cutting weight can be an expensive endeavor, why spend that time and energy and then lose ground by unknowingly wearing pants that are 1/2 pound heavier then other options you may have. Shirts, gaiters, etc., crap in a bino harness, it all adds up and can easily cancel out all your hard work.

Hunting is the only sport I'm involved in where people only count part of their gear weight. Everyone is welcome to do what they want, but it's such an easy way to save weight or add weight, that I keep track of it.
    True enough. There is however a difference between 8 pounds of clothes on your body and 8 pounds of clothes in a grocery sack in your hands. Its not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

While I am personally of the belief that if you take care of the ounces, the pounds will take care of themselves, there are some aspects of weight rationalization that need to simply be accepted. And that is predominately based on your expectations and mental toughness and of the hunt itself. Clothing requirements for a September stone hunt 15 km back in are vastly different from a September muley hunt 2 hours from the truck. Some stuff is worth the weight penalty and it simply doesn’t matter what it weighs. I don’t choose my binoculars with any thought as to weight, nor do I give much weight thought to my boots, I simply take the best stuff for the conditions and it doesn’t matter what the weight is because that gear isn’t negotiable in my mind.

That said, I don’t disagree with you, capture the weights on everything to make the best decisions for the scenario you are contemplating. Just don’t let weight savings over ride the best choice for the hunt.

. Just don’t let weight savings over ride the best choice for the hunt.
    Absolutely ageee. Ounce counting is just a single metric to keep an eye on. It is not the only thing to consider. I steered clear of weight weenie choices for along time, because I always felt they made too many sacrifices to lose weight. But some of the gear available now is incredible how light, durable and effective it is.

Thats not exactly your packed weight though, thats your walking weight. Unless of course you are carrying a spare pair of boots in your pack...
    It should have both on the list there mate. What's worn and what is the total.
    This is great! What's over that next ridge...
    https://www.instagram.com/colehank/?hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon500 View Post
    I Like the pie chart and list , food you can def save some weight. I take peanut butter packs , MCT oil , anything high calories to weight ratio. I can get 2500 cals down to 1.2 lbs a day. Also your boot weight is for 1 boot , unless you did some modifications to them yourself haha.
    Yeah shoot, I missed that on the boot. One of the things I didn't directly weigh, thanks for the catch.

Food for the day generally goes something like this:

Breakfast; Homemade granola (granola, powdered milk, sliced almonds, powdered / dried coconut, dried cranberry).
    2 Packets vietnamese instant coffee. (read little water required, solid kick in the pants)
    Pro bar base
    2 honey stinger waffles
    Chocolate peanut butter packet
    Moon Cheese (adds a crunchy consistency, the pepper jack is my go to.
    Peanut butter / honey / bacon vac sealed thin bagel sandwich.. Basically a compressed candy bar of happiness. See the A$$hole sandwich posts from Aron Snyder on Rokslide.
    Trail mix w dried fruits / nuts. Liking one from costco with dried banana right now.
    1 bag of deer jerky (I like the salt fix I get from it, and helps with glassing.
    BCAA mix to add to a nalgene when I'm ready (used individual sampler packets of iced tea flavor).
    Dehydrated dinner is Peak Refuel, I always look forward to those. I can recommend a few good ones, don't get the pesto it's too small.

I Carry a teabag of licorice tea for every other day. Great if I'm cold and wet when I'm crawling into the bag. Honey stinger energy chews are tasty and a pick me up.
    I Don't always take a bagel for each day due to weight, replace it with a pro bar meal in which is not as good. You can mix and match whatever works for you. In 2018 I lost around 1lb of body weight per day on the mountain eating around 2500 calories. I do my best to snack a fair amount and aim for the 3000+ cal area. The homemade granola, bagel, and peak refuel greatly assist in that.

I keep extra oats and 'mountain meals' (pre made meals frozen in 2lb tinfoil containers to heat up over a fire) etc at the boat. Along with other happiness and goodies.

Thanks for the incite on a few areas to save, but there's some areas that I just don't want to compromise in. I carry the 1L reactor and like how everything fits together (large fuel canister does not fit inside). If the weather is easy and I have more efficient re-hydrating I could take the GSI minimalist with a pocket rocket, saves weight but useless in wind.

For those of you who say your bag is lighter with a partner... It should be, you're sharing weight where you can and maximizing gear capabilities.

I'll update the P bottle, I just used Nalgene weight but usually use a gatorade plastic bottle.

I've went through some different options for water. I keep the aqua tabs in my possibles pouch in case of failure, as well as meds for beaver fever. Lately I've been using the katadyn befree 1L filter, in conjunction with a 1L nalgene, and a 2L bladder that the filter will also screw into. It's fast and seems to get it done. Problems would show up if you let it freeze however. I tried the steripen route and had one die on me. They're also heavy and require batteries, I try for all my electronics to be rechargeable.

Hope this helps, hit me back with any questions folks!
    Cheers,
    This is great! What's over that next ridge...
    https://www.instagram.com/colehank/?hl=en