Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuchodi river sept 12-23 tips and experiences

Tuchodi river sept 12-23 tips and experiences

Wasn’t lucky enough to draw an leh but we have a group of 4 including myself that are going for moose or elk sept 12-23 with river jet adventure.

main reason of posting this is - has anyone on this site done this trip before? And what would you do differently if you could do this trip again?

I am beyond excited for this trip. I’ve never done anything like this before and to be that far north in BC. Any tips you could offer for this hunting trip? Like what to pack or not to pack? Type of weather at this time of year? Any help is appreciated!
    thank you
    Tyler
    Member of CCFR

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tuchodi river sept 12-23 tips and experiences

Haven't been on the Tuchodi, but have used Riverjet before. Top-notch outfit.

- The gear(and food) you bring depends on your hunting style. Are you going to wall-tent at the river or spike out in the hills?
    - Weather can be all over the map. Prepare for rain and snow, but you might get nothing but sunshine.
    - River will be busy, get away from it.

Take plenty of photos/vids, stay safe, enjoy the awesomeness that is Northern BC!
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

My group has to get together again soon to discuss but I believe once we get dropped off we will hike in some away from the river to make camp. No wall tents just two tents to sleep two each. I will be taking a lot of vid and photos for sure! Thanks pg83
    Member of CCFR

Nice!

What's the experience level like for the group?

We messed a ton of stuff up on our first Northern adventure and we got skunked, but it is still one of my favourite trips!
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by pg83 View Post
    Nice!

What's the experience level like for the group?

We messed a ton of stuff up on our first Northern adventure and we got skunked, but it is still one of my favourite trips!
    my buddy and I are the same level of experience (novice). Friends brother is more new, His dad has hunted his entire life and this is kinda his “last” big hunting trip for him.
    if we get anything it’ll be the icing on the cake. The experience out there will just be crazy cool!
    Member of CCFR

take a fishing rod - the grayling and trout are plentiful in most places

I went up the Tuchodi middle of September last year. Jason will help get you to a good spot for what you are looking for. Up the Tuchodi its mostly elk, the lower Muskwa has more moose. We spent the whole trip off the river, with a small camp in the hills. I don't have much for tips, as we got skunked. There were good game trails to follow, but we only saw one cow and heard one bull. It is a tough hunt, and the better shape you are in the easier the hiking will be. Pack as light as possible, and don't forget a good water filter, as water can be tough to find up in the hills. The best thing I did before going was to go in with plan of coming out happy carrying nothing more than the experience of being in that awesome landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by tyreguy View Post
    take a fishing rod - the grayling and trout are plentiful in most places
    Thats the truth, can't keep the bull trout so catch and release only.

Plan on hiking at least 4 hours from the river to hit "good country", bring a big net and good deet.

To find bigger bulls I would plan on spiking out for as many days as you can from your Basecamp.
    Make Your Own Luck

I have hunted the Tuchodi before and all I can say, is it is literally the purest definition of Gods Country. Lots of game. Actually, the time you are going can be a pain in the ass since all the bulls will be screaming all fricken night long. Which is incredible to listen to but can get tiring listening to all those stanky bulls all night.
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

Good luck T and the rest of your group..listen to your guide..don't guide the guide..part of the cost... $$$$ is him knowing the country. .the game..and dropping you off in decent territory
    you guys have what it takes..go..have fun..sight your rifles in to be certain..shoot straight
    And don't forget to smile for the camera.
    Cheers
    Steven..we met once or twice