Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 742 Zone C Bison Access

742 Zone C Bison Access

Hey there. Our group was lucky enough to get a Bison draw this year. Im wondering about access into the new Zone C. Our draw is mid October and we have quads but I know we can only stay on the designated trails and those trails don't go into the zone. Snow mobiles are exempt from ATV trail rules I understand? Is there usually enough snow in October for snow mobiles? Any off-trail rules on dirt bikes? We are not experienced horsemen so trying to avoid that route and covering that much ground and packing out those massive animals on foot would be quite the task. Any information is much appreciated!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 742 Zone C Bison Access

There wont be enough snow in October for snow mobiles.
    No motorized vehicles are allowed past where quads can legally go.
    You can fly in to the Robb Lake airstrip and maybe get lucky enough to shoot one within walking distance.
    This zone is basically a no go at that time of year for bison without horses.
    Even if you find one in the main valley you will have an extremely difficult job to get the meat out.

'This zone is basically a no go at that time of year for bison without horses.'
    solid clue right there
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I also got the 742 C draw. Like myself you likely just put in the same 0001 draw as years before not realizing the zone change. From what I am seeing its a no go unless you want to haul meat 70 km on your back. I simply cant believe they would offer a hunt that doesnt have access. But im pretty sure I have looked at all angles and not seeing a way. I went from extremely excited to very disappointed!

prime for someone to set up a packing service
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Can anyone offer info on a reputable packer or guide service that works this area. If anyone has time I would welcome a conversation thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Dougielightning View Post
    Can anyone offer info on a reputable packer or guide service that works this area. If anyone has time I would welcome a conversation thanks in advance
    I haven’t heard of anybody reputable or reliable in that area.
    Stan Walczuk may still rent horses and pack gear but it’s strictly a do it yourself type of deal. He will show you how to pack and saddle horses at the trailhead but after that you are on your own. It’s a full days ride from the trailhead at Blueberry First Nation ranch to the area C boundary.
    The Blueberry First Nation has been trying to set up there own packing outfit for years but I have not heard that they are actually doing it. I suspect that with the current upheaval in their band surrounding their chief they won’t be in the packing business anytime soon. Anybody wishing to set up a packing service in that area would have to get an agreement in place with them beforehand and currently their administration has bigger fish to fry.

Quote Originally Posted by MB73 View Post
    I also got the 742 C draw. Like myself you likely just put in the same 0001 draw as years before not realizing the zone change. From what I am seeing its a no go unless you want to haul meat 70 km on your back. I simply cant believe they would offer a hunt that doesnt have access. But im pretty sure I have looked at all angles and not seeing a way. I went from extremely excited to very disappointed!
    I simply can't believe that someone would enter for a once in a lifetime draw without doing their homework..

I second that you talk to Stan Walchuk. But his ability to rent horses this fall will depend on whether his horses are committed to an outfitter that may or may not be operating. He's downsized his operation.

How do you get in touch with Stan
    thanks