Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullet Type for Moose

Re: Bullet Type for Moose

Moose are not especially hard to kill. Any decent bullet will do, but the best performing ones are going to Nosler partitions, Barnes TTSX/TSX, and similar non-lead bullets.

I’ve shot my first moose with a 6.5x55 with a factory Federal (anemic) round with a basic Soft Point bullet. It fell over and never got up... The one I shot with a 7-08 and a factory Federal Premium Barnes TSX was just as dead as the first.

Your 30-06 is a fantastic cartridge...

NH3
    NFA, CCFR, BCWF

165 or 180 grain in a 30/06 will do all you need. Many quality off the shelf bullets out there; shot placement is your key. Be confident with your gun by spending time behind it.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Take this advice and you'll be fine. I'm a Nosler fan, but either way do a premium bullet and make the first shot count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    165 or 180 grain in a 30/06 will do all you need. Many quality off the shelf bullets out there; shot placement is your key. Be confident with your gun by spending time behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    How does your buddy know that the bullet didn't expand if the moose got away?
    A moose can run a long ways if any bullet isn't put in the vitals...
    That's a good point, he passed away so I can't ask him. But nevertheless that's a good point you brought up.

30-06 is more than enough gun within a reasonable distance. I have taken a moose with a 180 GR BTSP. Anything in this size would be good. Remember that TSX and TTSX can be lower grain but perform as a large bullet. I would use a premium bullet but try many different options. Don't just try one type of ammo. Some guns just don't like certain ammo. I have a buddy that tried highly recommended ammo and the gun would not shot anyway near consistent. He went back to his old factory ammo and it was back to very accurate. And as others have said, get out and shoot, shoot, shoot. Know how your gun will perform.

I also shot a moose a few years back with a 165 gr Sierra game king. The moose was at 10 yards. Left a big leaky hole and the moose ran 10 yards and died.

30-06 w/ 165 gr premium bullet .... go kill your moose.
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

Shot placement is more important than the bullet type.

Quote Originally Posted by 303savage View Post
    Shot placement is more important than the bullet type.
    That's right...I found I was putting too much focus on bullet caliber and weight etc. But I wasn't thinking about staying calm when finding an animal, I'd be super accurate at the range but when I saw an animal I would have a major case of the jitters and that awesome feeling in my chest...but it compromised my shot. I focus less on caliber and bullets now and visualize more for staying calm, shooting my rifle with the same thick jacket I'll be wearing while hunting. I've a few guys now who shine at the range but things change when there's a live animal infront of you.

I used 165 Sierra game king out of my 30-06 last time. Roughly 300 yards broadside. Took out both lungs and exited. Moose died. Their lungs are the size of beach balls, just put a hole in it and they wont go far. This year will be nosler partition in 165 grain. Good luck on your hunt