Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Type for Moose

Re: Bullet Type for Moose

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    hunting has higher costs than a box of good ammo
    LOL I agree mostly.. till I paid $220 a box for factory 358 norma oryx. didn't even expand. I expect the 250 hot cores to perform better. I may use a lightweight 300 rum instead though this year. I've had good success with 190 ablr at 3100. they seem to expand well.

Its also a great coyote gun... the 110 vmax in the rum puts a run on the 2506 for yotes
    Last edited by Rotorwash; 07-12-2020 at 09:31 PM.

I’ve killed a bunch of moose with 165 grain game kings and a couple with 165 interbonds, the first one ever was with a 180 grain, but I can’t remember for the life of me what kind of bullet it was. Those are ones I’ve shot with an 06. Use what shoots well, a premium bullet won’t hurt, but anything half decent should work(that being said I’ve never shot a moose at really close range).

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Hello,

Do you have any recommendation for off-the-shelf bullet types one can recommend for moose? I have a 30-06 (sorry, not buying a new rifle, so this is fixed), and I assume the heavier the better? Any off-the-shelf ammo/bullet types (or ammo manufacturer/model) beneficial in terms of "stopping power" for such a big animal? I don't reload, so relying on factory ammo

30-06 has best ballistics with a 165gr!! shoot a 165 TTSX and enjoy tight groups, 99% bullet retention and great ballistics
    Time waits for no one, Hunt Now!

30-06 w/ 165 gr premium bullet

Killed a few with a 22.250 when it was my only gun. As said earlier, a lung shot moose doesn’t go far.

Andy Cahoose was one of the old time Natives here when I came to the country. He used a .22 Hornet. A friend of his asked how many shots with that to kill a moose. Andy’s reply was, “ One shot, one cigarette”.

I’m running 165 grain federal trophy bonded tip out of my .308 this year for my first moose hunt. Should hold up and do what I need it to !

Quote Originally Posted by bruce44 View Post
    Shoot one that has the tightest group for your gun at the maximum distance you're willing to shoot. Not all 30-06 are created the same. My remington 783 shoots 165 grain core lokt the tightest at 200 yards.
    I picked one up as a backup to my win m70 (also 30-06)...I only shot it a couple of times without a good rest and I was on center target so not too bothered about trying to dial it right in.

For the last hunting trip of the year last year, I had to use it due to losing an action screw out of my Win M70 ...Before heading out, we stopped at a shooting range and I shot 3 times using what I thought were 165gr nozler partitions but were actually 165 Winchester ballistic tips in the wrong box I think! (silver coloured cases with black bullets) shooting 110 yds I put the first 2 bullets in the same hole...that 783 is a shooter!

You dont need a "Magnum Boom Flopper " with depleted Uranium bullets . A 165g bullet will give you a bit of a flatter trajectory in your 30-06 and will get the job done. The key is practice, practice and then more practice. Know your limitations . Practice in real situations . Its all good and fine to know what to expect from your rifle at the range and from the bench, but shoot ; standing, sitting and prone to know what you can do. Heck , just for giggles, try running in place for a bit and take a whack at a target at 50 yards standing.
    Seems like Remington Core Locks are a big favorite on the forum , start with them and see what happens.
    Good luck on your hunt , and above all have fun.
    B.
    Grandpa used to say, "ya know, when you point your finger at someone , three of your fingers are pointed back at you."

My father in law swears by 117gr hornady in his 25-06. Says he hasnt had a moose take a second step. I know its magic on deer and black bear. Also the barnes 80 ttsx at 3800 dumps things in their tracks.

aswqawsa`ws