Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullet Type for Moose

Bullet Type for Moose

Hello,

Do you have any recommendation for off-the-shelf bullet types one can recommend for moose? I have a 30-06 (sorry, not buying a new rifle, so this is fixed), and I assume the heavier the better? Any off-the-shelf ammo/bullet types (or ammo manufacturer/model) beneficial in terms of "stopping power" for such a big animal? I don't reload, so relying on factory ammo

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bullet Type for Moose

Your probably just fine with any 180 grain premium/bonded bullet.
    Try a box of Nosler partitions to see if they shoot well in your rifle or maybe barns vortex ammo with TTSX.

30-06 is plenty of gun.

My personal preference is 180 grain or more for moose or elk. I use Partitions.

150Gr TTSX.....

Our moose last year fell to a 142 grain bullet from a 6.5 PRC. You have plenty of gun and 180 grains is more than enough bullet.

I like Accubonds, but I don't think the moose can tell the difference.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    150Gr TTSX.....
    Second the 150 gr ttsx. That’s what I used when I owned a .30-06, last animal I shot with one was a bull elk. Obliterated the lungs. I was able to recover the bullet and it weighed in at 150gr.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

I use the 165 GMX in my 300 wm for everything. You can get that loaded in Superformance ammo along with 150 for your rifle
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

I've had great results on moose with 180 grain accubonds and partitions. TTSX would be another good choice with 150 or 165 grain bullets.

Dropped mine with a 180 grain sst. Just didn't shoot the shoulder, bullet turned one lung I to soup, missed the heart and 2nd lung was shredded but not turned into soup like first one, no exit. My buddy used accubonds on his moose at 30 yards, bullet went in and out without expanding and moose got away...so take advice with a grain of salt. Factory ammo? Go with Remington core like 180 grain

Quote Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
    Dropped mine with a 180 grain sst. Just didn't shoot the shoulder, bullet turned one lung I to soup, missed the heart and 2nd lung was shredded but not turned into soup like first one, no exit. My buddy used accubonds on his moose at 30 yards, bullet went in and out without expanding and moose got away...so take advice with a grain of salt. Factory ammo? Go with Remington core like 180 grain
    How does your buddy know that the bullet didn't expand if the moose got away?
    A moose can run a long ways if any bullet isn't put in the vitals...