Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullet Type for Moose

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: Bullet Type for Moose

I've killed moose with 180gr sp federal, 168gr TTsx, 190 hornady BTSP, 150gr TSX, None killed the moose any better than others!! Any 180gr bullet shot out of an '06, from a reasonable distance, into vital will kill a moose, elk, deer, bear!!! I'd look for a bullet that shoots well from your '06, over a fancy premium bullet. Saying this, I do like monolithics, and bonded bullets, the technology is there, why not use it? Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

What are peoples thoughts on 6.5x55 with 140 gr accubond for moose??
    I sold my 30-06 and wish I didn't!!
    I can borrow one but I like me 6.5 tikka swede!!
    Any feedback would be great.
    Thanks everyone.
    copper surprize

Quote Originally Posted by MAMMOET View Post
    Thanks everyone.
    i have no real world experience with that caliber but I understand it is very popular in the Scandinavian countries for moose hunting

Most any of the brands probably work. That being said and if your shooting factory, find what shoots well in your rifle. I would look at Federal Blue box or Remington core locks if you are on a budget. My preference would be barnes TTSX or TSX. I have shot moose with everything from Sierra game kings to Barnes. All in the 150-165 Gr class. All died with the first shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    i have no real world experience with that caliber but I understand it is very popular in the Scandinavian countries for moose hunting
    I have read the same, apparently the long bullets and small diameter of them give them good penetration. Have a look on Google images, makes sense to me

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by MAMMOET View Post
    Thanks everyone.
    Will kill moose pretty dead! Just as dead as an '06! 140 accubond is a gooder too! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

My biggest moose was a one shot drop with budget ammo out of a relatively light caliber (.300 sav) so it is certainly about placement first and foremost.

Any 150gr and up premium bullet is more than enough for moose. Don't over think it. Just find what groups good
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Federal Premium 165 or 180gr Nosler Accubond or Partition ammo, Barnes VorTx 150 or 168gr TTSX ammo, all great moose ammo in 30-06
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

You'll be good with anything a 150 grains plus whether it be a 180 grain nosler accu bonds or a 168 grain Barnes to tip triple shock you'll have to try various ammo to see what your gun will like but the 30-06 will get her done