Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stave River Elk Draw

Stave River Elk Draw

A buddy got one of the bull tags for Stave River. Brand new, never hunted before. Lucky so-and-so.

I have never hunted the area. Anyone have any recent experience up in those parts?

Any tips much appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stave River Elk Draw

15 years of putting in for draws of areas I know and I have zilch. Worked up in stave and seen goats. Good luck on the elk.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    15 years of putting in for draws of areas I know and I have zilch. Worked up in stave and seen goats. Good luck on the elk.
    I got a couple moose draws around PG a decade+ ago. Nothing since. Not even a damn doe draw. Some folks have all the luck.

interesting that there’s goats around there.

You need a boat to get to the back of the lake. Then you need a vehicle to get you around. When you plan on going ? I know that lake very well.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Very cool LEH to get. I wish your buddy the best of luck. Would love to hunt up there.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Know it well. Like was said before, you need a boat to get up there and once you're there you need a bike or quad to get around. There is a large network of well maintained roads but they are cut off from everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    You need a boat to get to the back of the lake. Then you need a vehicle to get you around. When you plan on going ? I know that lake very well.
    I think the plan is Mid-late October. Going to get in some scouting prior to that.

Here is a real basic question. Where can you launch from?

Stave lake boat launch. There is a dock at the end up by the river that you could have a barge take you and equipment up in. It says no trespassing so you may need to get permission. I was up there on Friday and there was a barge type boat docked up there. I was checking it out as a possible area to bear hunt

The dock is up there for the logging and for the power plant up on the river, no idea if they'll be logging in there this year with things the way they are. If you're uncomfortable with the no trespassing sign on the dock or it's in use and you're unwelcome there are a couple spots just up the river a little bit and right at the end of the old causeway where they used to dump the logs into the water. For a scouting trip the roads aren't real steep so even a couple mountain bikes would let you see a lot of country up there. There is also a pretty good airstrip so if you know anyone with a plane it'd be super easy to get dropped in there for a few days. Congratulations to your friend, I'm very envious of his draw.

Watch out on the lake can get windy pretty guick. Your buddy is a luck guy. Hope he takes you along. From the boat launch to where they are saying to tie up your boat is about a 30 minute boat ride. I would ask someone before you tie up at the back of the lake of the dock though. If the lake is low watch out for stumps. Well from the boat launch till you get to the main lake is some big stumps. Follow the buoys. You usually get fog in the morning.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.