Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose Hunting in Kootenays

Moose Hunting in Kootenays

I have been lucky enough to be awarded an LEH moose hunt this year in the Kootenays. I have hunted there before but am looking for any info on when the moose rut tends to be going on. We are contemplating going for bow season because the rifle opening does not start until oct 15th. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose Hunting in Kootenays

Which MU did you draw?
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Which MU did you draw?
    Yup, logical first question. Maybe some additional information about where BC Hunter is coming from or if they are staying in tents, camper, trailer..... . Maybe how he intends to hunt, horse, bike, ORV.

Typically the first couple weeks of October.
    That's why rifle season starts when it does. It's the same with the peace region.

Welcome to the site. What made you decide to join now for your first post? Maybe tell us a bit about yourself and your hunting method of choice and experience?

I lived in 4-06 for a few years and Ive seen the bulls rutting strong about the 3rd week of September, very responsive to calling at that point from my experience.
    - A hunter who doesn't bring home the meat is just an outdoor enthusiast

I am a novice hunter from Vancouver Island. I hunt with a rifle. I love camping and fishing and have found my love for hunting over the last 6 or 7 years. I have been on island and mainland elk hunts as well as deer hunts annually. I love hunting on the mainland and in the Rockies because the land and scenery is fantastic. This is my first ever moose draw and is in 4-25. We bring a wall tent as well as our truck and camper. I enjoy getting out and exploring new terrain every year that I hunt and this year will be no different. I decided to make an account on the website pretty much to see if I could get a bit of info on the moose rut in the Kootenays. I have two young children and can only get away for one trip... so I was hoping to try and time it with the best chance to be successful on our draw. I appreciate the replies that I have received and hopefully I have answered a few questions in the thread. Look forward to reading some more replies!

One thing you will need is a radio since there's lots of logging truck traffic in the area Monday to Friday. Saw lots of moose hunters come up for the October 15th opening for immature bull. They usually camp and park around Km 25 on the Kootenay-Palliser FSR. Find swamp/water areas that butt against terrain that rabidly gain elevation. Look for willow around these areas.

The koots has become a real moose hotspot! While the population has plummeted everywhere else it seems to be booming in the koots! Oct 15 will be great timing for your hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    The koots has become a real moose hotspot! While the population has plummeted everywhere else it seems to be booming in the koots! Oct 15 will be great timing for your hunt!
    Havent heard that one yet which units are booming in population.