Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Region 7-18 Moose, Mcrgregor River and Herrick Creek

Region 7-18 Moose, Mcrgregor River and Herrick Creek

I am contributing to the inevitable never been to the area and got a draw there questions... negativity not needed. There’s enough of that in the world right now and hunters should stick together in their fraternity and help one another.
    Mu 7-18,
    Mcgregor River and Herrick Creek water shed areas so far. Or any other pertinent areas within the Mu that is relative.
    If anyone wants to share some beta that would help it would be appreciated. No jetboat for trip.
    More than welcome to just Pm me instead of posting in comments.
    There will be Pre-trips, lots of studying maps, googling etc to get a base idea of where we’re going and initial game plans etc.
    Everyone puts their time in and no one should not ask questions.
    If you don’t like this post or don’t feel to share info, simply don’t comment and move on with life.
    Good luck to everyone and stay safe.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Region 7-18 Moose, Mcrgregor River and Herrick Creek

I guess nobody has the will to respond to a preaching type newbie?

Had a buddy that went in there over the McGregor about 3 years ago,,saw NO moose,,and MANY grizzlies

I’m going by memory here, but I remember there being two ways to get into that area. We went in the northern part a few years ago. I’d have to check my maps for fsr names. When I was there last the bridge that crosses the river into the area was condemned. You could still run a quad across, but there was barricades prohibiting a vehicle from crossing. When we were there we talked to some of the forestry engineers working there who said they’d be logging across that bridge and replacing it in the coming years. Not sure if it’s been replaced by now or not.

There’s definitely moose there. It seems like there’s lots of grizz further back higher in the mountains.

The first time I went there in 2013 it took me I’m guessing 4 hours to get in the last stretch of road because it was in such poor shape, but the last time I was there (maybe 2017) they were logging all around there and it was nicely graded.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I’ve also hunted right next door at the end of 7-23. Lots of moose, grizzly bears and wolves there too.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Hmm had a great friend Tony. .who has property close by..we hunted the area by jet boats..Tony and family hunted the area for decades.
    still good moose population..and yes grizzlies too..
    One if biggest moose ever seen was on the McGregor ..antlers like a sheet of plywood.
    I wouldn't hesitate to hunt that area again..
    Different approach depending on when your draw is ?
    Congrads on the LEH win
    srupp

I remember hunting there in 2013. There was a group of 3 guys who drug their jet boat in there. They launched it down a really steep bank and couldn’t get it started. They figured they had flooded the engine, so they pulled all of the plugs out and cranked the engine over. KABOOM. Nothing but a burnt mess left on the trailer. No insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGRMEISTER View Post
    I guess nobody has the will to respond to a preaching type newbie?
    Guess you are wrong. A few have on here and a few more have been private messaging. You must be a fun guy on trips with all that positivity. Good luck and be safe out there.

I was going to share a really good spot with you via pm, but that takes the fun out of hunting.

I saw that blown up jet boat on trailer lol felt bad for them though. Shot two moose on river 5- k. From there camp.