Thread: Primal Instincts and a Horseshoe Draw

Primal Instincts and a Horseshoe Draw

So let me first introduce myself,

I did not grow up in a hunting family whatsoever, however I always loved to go on fishing and camping trips with my dad. As I got older, for some reason, the pursuit of hunting game always seemed to draw me. Maybe it was from my time as a young kid when I lived in a mining camp near Mayo, Yukon for the summer; seeing the northern lights on a daily basis, while being completely surrounded by the wilderness for miles? Maybe, it was just the next logical step for my love of camping and fishing? Or maybe it was a primal instinct in me wanting to pursue meat outside the comfort of my freezer? All of the above? Regardless, I knew that hunting was in my veins and I needed to get out in the bush!

However, this instinct would have to be put on hold, as I moved away from B.C. to complete 7 years of school. Yet, this did not stop me from researching as much as I could about hunting. I would spend hours in my dorm room looking up satellite images of “potential” hunting spots, reading this forum and gaining valuable knowledge from fellow members, reading every book and article I could find. This is of course while I’m “supposedly” doing readings for my normal classes.

Fast forward to me graduating after 7 years away. I don’t know which part was more exciting, finally graduating school, or the fact that I was finally able to hunt in my own backyard (the close to million square kilometres of BC). I knew it was going to be a steep learning curve, but I was prepared to be patient. I went in with the mindset that just being in the outdoors and camping under the stars was the reward, with anything else just being the cherry on top. So I make a couple purchases with money I had saved up working summers during school and start to plan for the spring bear hunt.

So after a few phone calls with a fellow forum member Floden, getting comfortable with my rifle, and doing some online “e-scouting”, I make my way to an area that I had staked and begin to glass for a black bear. I knew that for my first time, the likelihood to see anything was slim, and the ability to connect on something was even slimmer (I’d like to add that I’m like the unluckiest person on the planet so I had no expectations of seeing anything). However, while leaving my spot to go home for the day, I spotted a black bear (nothing to write home about nor the size of some of the bruins I have seen posted on here) but I decided to try and make a stalk on it. Sure enough, the wind was in my favour and I got within 70 yards. I made an ethical shot and the bear dropped in its tracks! Wow, I couldn’t believe it, my first big game animal down. I quickly got to work, but while field dressing I knew that hunting was going to be a lifelong passion of mine!

Fast forward to recently. I put my name in a few draws with the expectation that I was not going to be drawn for anything (especially given my luck). However, when I opened the site yesterday I was shocked to find out that I had been drawn for a Bull Moose LEH AND an ELK LEH on Vancouver Island! Immediately thoughts run through my head on how I didn’t deserve this or the fact that I “didn’t pay my dues”, I felt guilty. However, I knew that I drew them with the same odds as anyone else on here. Notwithstanding, I understand that to honour these tags, I need to put 100% of my effort in (irrespective if I punch the tags or not). So I am hoping that if anyone on this forum has any advice or tips about these tags, or would love to just talk about hunting generally, I would love to gain your insight! I am currently a sponge and hoping I can absorb as much as I can from any other hunters out there. I am also hoping to make some scouting trips out to both locations this summer, if people are interested in tagging along.

I am happy that I am able finally introduce myself to this forum, it’s been a long time coming! I am also looking forward to connecting with some of you fellow hunters in the future!

Jesse
    Last edited by jesse; 04-02-2021 at 06:09 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Primal Instincts and a Horseshoe Draw

What, no doe Mulie draw? Ya I got some thoughts, Phuque off you lucky basterd!LOL! Beginners luck! Me I went 0/6. Have fun on your hunts!

What dates on 3-19 A?
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

@Jesse - glad to help. You treated that bear right… And those Smokies were delicious thanks again.
    I guess the big problem you’ll have for the future is that in your first season of playing you got to Primo draws.
    now we need to get you out in the bush a lot so you’re comfortable out there and your nerves are steady when you draw A bead on either of those two bulls!

A few years ago, I got a cow elk draw on Vancouver Island… I wouldn’t say it was difficult to find the elk but they certainly don’t walk up to the barrel of the gun. I should add that we didn’t see one bull the whole time- even though I got a cow.

what time of year did you get the bull elk tag?? When I was there it rained like I was standing in the shower. I know you’ll prepare yourself well and I’m here to help however I can

I’m no help but wishing you a successful hunt this year, sounds like a lot of fun!
    Member of CCFR

November 1-30

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    November 1-30
    Ah. The areas I know up there are prime early October but seem to clear out after the rut. Snow can be a problem in November some years for the area I know.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Quote Originally Posted by r106 View Post
    Ah. The areas I know up there are prime early October but seem to clear out after the rut. Snow can be a problem in November some years for the area I know.
    nov bull moose will be tough, its comes down to covering a lot of ground and just bumping into them. Hunt where the feed is, which usually means hiking to find it.

When is the elk draw
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Thanks for the phone call @Floden. Looking forward to connecting soon!

Looks like Sayward hotels got hit hard in this pandemic. Anyone have ideas for @jesse for accommodations up there? Oct 10 ish