Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moose hunting questions.

Re: Moose hunting questions.

They will come to call then, but not like in the rut proper. That said, if you want to try to call use a cow call. Not bull. with a cow call on the shoulder season you will be calling smaller bulls. The big daddy has already done his thing. If you sound like a big bad ass the 30"er will stay away. Get into your spot in the dark, wait till sunrise and call every 10 minutes... until you are too cold to move or 10am..... then call from 4pm till dark.....
    When your calling an echo is really handy.... high ground calling to low ground as well......

As far as where to find them.... they can be anywhere.. high up, low down, timber, swamps or cutblocks...... Find tracks.. go from there.... and remember, they are funkin huge so don't be walking a long long way off a road...

I think you will get all the info you need from srupp.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    They will come to call then, but not like in the rut proper. That said, if you want to try to call use a cow call. Not bull. with a cow call on the shoulder season you will be calling smaller bulls. The big daddy has already done his thing. If you sound like a big bad ass the 30"er will stay away. Get into your spot in the dark, wait till sunrise and call every 10 minutes... until you are too cold to move or 10am..... then call from 4pm till dark.....
    When your calling an echo is really handy.... high ground calling to low ground as well......

As far as where to find them.... they can be anywhere.. high up, low down, timber, swamps or cutblocks...... Find tracks.. go from there.... and remember, they are funkin huge so don't be walking a long long way off a road...
    I'm sure in most cases but there are exceptions: I watched a huge bull rut with a cow who was just bawling like her life depended on it a couple years ago....Nov 2nd....I would agree they could be anywhere, so hunt the sign..that being said, they really like red willow for their diet come November....

That one is a dandy.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post

Some proper good intel in your thread. .well done..experience..
    Cheers
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by cameron0518 View Post
    I think you will get all the info you need from srupp.
    Id have to agree with you on that, talked on the phone with Steven yesterday. I gotta say, I’m blown away with how helpful he is, also how much knowledge came out of him was amazing. Having said that, all the other people have also been helpful with their replies. Please keep them coming, I’m sure I’m not the only one learning from this thread. Thanks all.

I agree Cabled. I've been hunting for a while but I'm newish to targeting moose. So all of these great pointers from the seasoned guys here are extremely helpful!