Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won LEH bull moose region 6-9 - looking for info to plan the trip

Won LEH bull moose region 6-9 - looking for info to plan the trip

I have successfully drawn a bull LEH in 6-9.

I spent part of my youth living off of Buck Flats Rd, but that was a long time ago!

My draw is Sept 25- Oct 19, and are thinking of Oct 1 -8 to coincide with the bow season.

I appreciate any info I can get to help get our hunt planning started.

Specifically:

1) How much of this area was hit by the fires two years ago?
    2) Should I favor Morrice river areas or Buck creek areas or?
    3) Recommendations for forestry campsites - easier to "social distance" or remote/rustic accommodation to help us and give to the local economy?

I hope to get out before to scout but, work controls to much of my time and now there's this whole covid thingy.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Won LEH bull moose region 6-9 - looking for info to plan the trip

Pretty sure there wont be a Bow GOS during the rut this year that's why they had the Archery only draws.

Much of 6-9 will be closed due to pipeline activity. The back end of 6-9 is totally burnt so that leaves the telkwa river section which will be so heavily hunted there probably won't be a squirrel to be seen.

tough hunt went there for bow season and early bull season last year...great bear and grouse hunting...very few moose and the ones i did see where in the evening in water...bring a canoe and look at the portage routes that get you way away from roads.
    thats the only way i would go back there...lots of rough customers around and if you find a single road sign thats not shot you will have found a trophy...what else are these road warriors shooting if seen? my guess would be anything.

one of the highest densitys of bears in the province they appeared to be killing each other frequently.

Thanks, doesn't sound to promising. I am trying to find a map of the latest forest fires in that area to see the impact.

I have noticed that when some hunters get bored the signs take a beating.

I might look into the canoe option, long way to go for fishing/bears and grouse though.

canoe option is what i would do..
    only fear was to leave gear at trailhead as stated before some strange customers up there.
    north morice is not impacted by fire.everything else is scorched. past useable imo..i did see moose but the slowest i have ever seen.. rut should help but you need a moose for it to rut.. the one portage lake with four lakes looked the least impacted.
    as said some strange characters around.

I would be going for opening weekend for sure. Make sure you can call, find sign then call late at night and early in the morning. 6-9 is large, lots of spots to go.

I hunted the bow GOS last year and the day I was headed in to the cut block I scouted two guys were pulling a bull out that they shot that morning, called it in. There was a second bull around but I was only able to hunt one day and I didn't get lucky. My friend had the late draw for 6-9 and took a great bull his first day out.

Good luck

Thanks for the help, i will definitely have to get there sometime before August.

Quote Originally Posted by sportco22 View Post
    Thanks, doesn't sound to promising. I am trying to find a map of the latest forest fires in that area to see the impact..
    www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status/about-bcws/wildfire-statistics
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole