Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MU 423 Mountain Goat - any advise?

MU 423 Mountain Goat - any advise?

Ok, first time Mountain goat hunt, got the LEH for 423... finding myself a bit intimidated.

Not too worried about the physical aspect and equipment, but have never hunted Goat before and don't know the area. Scouting will be tricky, may be able to squeeze in a weekend before the hunt starts.

How much time should I take off? And suggestions for tactics, access in the region, tips and tricks? Any hint is appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: MU 423 Mountain Goat - any advise?

Which unit? Makes a big difference.
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

Oh right, sorry - it's 423 - B

Theres no magic answer
    To kill one you need to find it first, then make an approach plan. The only way is to either view them yourself
    or be directed to them by someone who has the intimate knowledge and willing to share. Not every mountain has goats, but find one goat and others will be near.
    Early season hunts the goats are still up high and generally don't move far from a home turf unless pressured.
    Later in the fall, December-ish, snows will move them down into winter ranges, which are more accessible but may not be where you spotted them a week or even a day earlier.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

My brother got a region 4 goat draw (not the same zone as you), but access looks like it will be a bitch. Probably a reason why the draw odds were 0.0:1 last year.

I got the draw in the MU directly west of you.

PM me and I'll give you all the information I've got.

Learn to effectively sex a goat please its hard on populations when Nannies are shot. survival rates of kids are very low a bad winter can kill off 70% new borns in one winter so its extremely important only billies are shot. buy a copy of "A beast the colour of winter" incredible information. thanks and god luck!! hope ya hammer a ancient bill missing a couple front teeth
    BC Wild sheep society
    BC BCHA
    BC wildlife federation
    RMGA

my observations over the years.

If you go when there is no snow most goats tend to be at the top of the mountain.

If you get some snow (say mid October) it makes rock faces very slick and the nannies and kids usually come down lower, into the timber edge for safety from slippage. Big billies don't tend to be as safety conscious, so may stay high or come down a bit.

When the snow gets deeper and is safer walking, the goats tend to go back up the hill to their safe zone.

Really deep snow may push them down, but they will usually go into the timer for access to food.

My point is, timing is critical. The goats go up and down the hills based on weather, snow and rutting activity. You can go at the absolute perfect time and find them within easy reach or at the worst time and not ever be able to access them.

Packing out can be another issue.

If you skin and debone on site, its usually best , HOWEVER, if its wet weather, that hide will hold a ton of water and be super heavy, on top of the meat. Expect to be packing close to 100 pounds.

I recommend deboning on site. Goats really have very little meat on them compared to a whitetail. Their bone structure is pretty stout, so lots of bone weight.

A lot of people say goats are hard to kill. I disagree. One well placed killing shot (heart, high shoulder) will anchor them if all they hear is the one shot. If you rush the shot and go guns ablazing, thats when they tend to vacate quickly and a significant distance. Practice your shooting in similar conditions..steep angles, uncomfortable positions. AND ALWAYS use a range finder. Distance is very deceptive when you are shooting up hillsides, across canyons etc etc.

Good luck
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    my observations over the years.

If you go when there is no snow most goats tend to be at the top of the mountain.

If you get some snow (say mid October) it makes rock faces very slick and the nannies and kids usually come down lower, into the timber edge for safety from slippage. Big billies don't tend to be as safety conscious, so may stay high or come down a bit.

When the snow gets deeper and is safer walking, the goats tend to go back up the hill to their safe zone.

Really deep snow may push them down, but they will usually go into the timer for access to food.

My point is, timing is critical. The goats go up and down the hills based on weather, snow and rutting activity. You can go at the absolute perfect time and find them within easy reach or at the worst time and not ever be able to access them.

Packing out can be another issue.

If you skin and debone on site, its usually best , HOWEVER, if its wet weather, that hide will hold a ton of water and be super heavy, on top of the meat. Expect to be packing close to 100 pounds.

I recommend deboning on site. Goats really have very little meat on them compared to a whitetail. Their bone structure is pretty stout, so lots of bone weight.

A lot of people say goats are hard to kill. I disagree. One well placed killing shot (heart, high shoulder) will anchor them if all they hear is the one shot. If you rush the shot and go guns ablazing, thats when they tend to vacate quickly and a significant distance. Practice your shooting in similar conditions..steep angles, uncomfortable positions. AND ALWAYS use a range finder. Distance is very deceptive when you are shooting up hillsides, across canyons etc etc.

Good luck
    Good tips. Thanks.

I have a local draw in region 4 the snow has come so I'm trying to figure out a plan. Was thinking about a solo mission but it doesn't seem smart.

Your info was helpful

Don't give in so easy, you might be surprised how easy it can be too
    Locations are so different and unique, only first hand scouting will tell

take crampons
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole