Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hiking Boots in Lower Mainland?

Re: Hiking Boots in Lower Mainland?

If you are at Valhalla in Vancouver you could also cross the road and check out Fjalraven. Lots of Hanwags on the wall and had a good chat about hunting and fishing with the manager. I was buying pants, not boots though so not sure how well they know their stuff. Manager did mention a visit he made to the Hanwag factory so maybe pretty clued up on the brand.

Italian sporting goods had a decent selection of Crispis last time I was in, pre-covid.

Alpine start Outfitters on Broadway for Meindls. The Meindl guy there has been fitting boots for decades, call ahead to make sure he'll be in the shop when you plan on going in.

Fjallraven on Broadway for Hanwags. Mostly dealt with the manager who was great, but so was everyone else I talked to.

If you're willing to buy online, Lowa.ca has worked great for me.
    I've ordered 5 pairs of Lowa Tibets and returned 2 without a problem.
    As far as sizing, their chart is handy. Measure your foot length exactly in mm and it'll give you the corresponding size.
    Lowa says they add 15mm of boot space to your exact foot measurement given your size.
    Seems to work for me, toes never hit the end going down and enough room for heavier socks in cold weather.

Here's some info on the Tibet Wide option: the sole is the same as the regular Tibet, not any wider. What differs is there's 2mm more leather for width and 4mm more leather for instep. I have wide feet but not high volume. I've had the Tibet Wide now for 3 years but found I don't need the extra leather volume. So this time around I got the Tibet regular. My 6th toe is where the rand meets the sole and I don't think the extra leather makes a difference on this low a spot.
    Just a matter of pushing out the rand with time.

I recently got my wife a pair and she loves them.

I went to Robinsons outdoor and got some Lowa. Very nice boot and the service was excellent. knowledgable and had experience with the different boots.

MEC had a 40 minute lineup.

I just picked up a pair of Lowa boots from vpo and love them. Tried on several other boots too, scarpa, hanwag, meindl to name a few. I think most places would have the same return policy but vpo will give you 30 days to try them out, so long as you only wear them inside, to make sure they are a good fit.

Good luck on your boot hunt and try lots of different pairs on!

I read an article on Rokslide about custom boots. Can't recall the name but the writer couldn't say enough good things. I have a pair of Zamberlan boots that fit me perfectly but for my next boot I plan to try this custom guy.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I have very flat feet I use orthotics but not too happy with the last pair of orthotics from Kintec .
    Also have a couple of Hammer Toes and a decent sized bunion on my left big toe . Getting well fitting boots is a real problem ! Well fitted boots and shoes are a major item if you like to hike around and do lots of walking !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I had a terrible time finding boots, I have wide, short hobbit feet. Was finally able to find a pair of Meindl’s that fit me well at Alpine Start Outfitters in Vancouver. Buy your boots based on what fits you best not so much the brand (as long as they are quality). Good Luck!