Thread: Fishing in the Chilcotin

Fishing in the Chilcotin

Hi all. I have been fishing the lakes in the Chilcotin for over twenty years now. It's always fun to try new lakes along the way. This fall, we will be staying out at Nimpo Lake for 9 nights. Last year, we did some fly-fishing in Big Stick Lake for the first time and had a blast. This year we'd like to try another new lake or a lake we haven't been to in awhile. Possibilities include: Sapeye, Little Sapeye, Bluff, Charlotte. Does anyone have any recommendations on lakes and/or methods? That would be appreciated.
    We tried to fish Charlotte ten years ago. We got blown off the lake within an hour as the wind came up and we found ourselves in a bit of a squall. We've got an 11-foot Smokercraft aluminum boat and an 8 hp motor, so we don't want to bite off more than we can chew.
    Thanks,
    Pablo

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing in the Chilcotin

Poison Lakes about 35 minutes outside Anahim. They are two small, shallow lakes that can be very productive. Fantastic scenery too. There is a motor restriction on them but they are small enough that it's not an issue.

Hmm can't get there from Hwy 20...however..
    camp at Fir lake..lots of medium sized trout. .great rec site..
    bump over to Owen lake with flies dragon..damsel..leech..for BIG trout..some easily over 10 pounds..small lake.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Thanks, northernguy.
    Poison and Medicine are already two of my very favourite lakes in the Chilcotin. I agree, the view of the Itcha Ilgachuz range and Anahim Peak are spectacular.
    No shortage of grizzly in the area as well, so we try to stay diligent when launching, etc. A couple of friends of mine were on Poison a number of years ago in individual pontoon craft fly-fishing. They watched as a cow moose and calf came down to the water's edge and were grazing on water plants at a distance of about 60 feet. The two guys stayed motionless observing the magical moment in the wild. While they were taking it all in, a grizzly ambled out of the forest and attacked the calf. For some reason, one of the guys decided to insert himself into the equation when it looked like the moose calf was a goner. So, the grizzly abandoned the calf chase and turns and charges into the lake after my two friends. Apparently, pontoon boats can glide quite well when the adrenalin is pumping.

Thanks srupp. I'll check them out.

puntzi for kokane...my real name came from there

At Nimpo there are 3 charter float planes available for charter if you want to get into the back country. Where are planing to stay at Nimpo, I live here.

We are staying at Stewart's Lodge.
    We've pondered the fly-in idea, but were told that we should plan on $ 1 000 for a trip into a lake such as Hotnarko or some place else in the vicinity... definitely outside of our budget.