Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rain Gear

Re: Rain Gear

Get some Canadian Army surplus rain gear. Cheap and bombproof. Still use mine.

Rivers West works well for me and I can afford it...

I have firstlite SEAK rainjacket. I live on the northwest coast. I found the jacket to be clammy and not breathe well from day 1. I have used it in all xonditions ( sheep, goats, deer, winter steelhead) and in the heat it is hot and in the rain it leaks. I would not recommend it. Remember firstlite made its name in baselayers. I am looking to switch rain coat back to goretex as I got 11 years out of my farwest goretex shell. I have reviewed the SEAK jacket online and have my honest thoughts. They published the review but did not contact me to see if they could make it better. That said I did not try to make a warranty claim.

I just got a brand new SEAK through warranty. It was 2.5 years old and it started to leak through the soft fabric patch they glue to the inside that sits against the back of your neck. Before it leaked I thought it was a great jacket. I had the opposite opinion. I thought it breathed about as good as a rain jacket could. I haven’t tested the new one yet, the first 2 days of sun in awhile showed up the day after it was delivered haha.
    Time will tell if this one will last but getting a brand new rain jacket after a 2.5 year old one leaks under warranty is pretty good customer service. All I had to cover was shipping it to them.

I’ve been using some Badlands gear I got on sale. It’s good....bib pants with good suspenders make it a little bit of a production to take a piss if you’re in a rush though. XXL fits like like a larger XL. No leaks in serous rain, and don’t seem to sweat my bag off when hiking in rain....I like it.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

I say it every time someone asks about rain gear-- I love my Kuiu Yukon stuff. I wear the jacket even when it is not raining.

At first I thought the Toray fabric was just a gimmick to separate Kuiu from Sitka but the more I use it the more I like it.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I wear a marmot minimalist rain jacket in olive. It works great but there is no stretch at all so I would not want that fabric in a pant.

I walk straight up fairly steep mountains quite frequently so I am getting my knees pretty high.

I want a zip off pair of rain pants that are breathable and have some stretch. The OR Forays look interesting but I have no way to try them on. My friend has the kuiu chugachs but they are uber expensive.

I am hoping to spend ~ $250 max on a pair of good pants. Don't need to be camo.

bumping this thread up again to see some more opinions.

cheers

I bought a Yukon jacket during one of Kuiu’s sales. Still expensive but it’s my favourite piece of gear now. Did a hike with it at New Years, Typical South Island winter day, rain, wind, fog etc. I did have to remove a layer underneath because I was getting hot but that’s normal when you’re hiking. It was still better than my helly Hansen shell.

I’d look at the new Badlands Bail raingear. Their gear gets over looked, but it fits, it’s tough and the best warranty in the business. I was out hiking in my Badlands Rise jacket yesterday in wet snow, dripping trees and was completely dry on return.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I lived in my friends Kuiu Yukon rain gear for a week on my Caribou hunt this fall, it did amazing withstanding the willows and this brush we were smashing through. I plan on buying my Kutana rain gear for this coming fall as its a bit lighter than the Yukon.