Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rain Gear

Rain Gear

If you could buy 1 set of rain gear that would be you're go to for most of the BC hunting season (maybe not August/Early Sept down south) and hunting up north in mid-late sept, and central BC in Oct Nov for deer...what would you choose?

Im looking at Sitka Stormfront, Kuiu doesn't look like it will be a fit for me. Any other suggestions or rain gear/hunting outer layer that is just exceptional and will hopefully be a buy it once kinda idea
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rain Gear

Helly Hansen Impertech hands down. No need to baby it, can sit by a fire and not worry about getting ember holes (fix with shoe goo and duct tape), and works in the brush line. Above treeline you could go with a membrane based setup but most of BC is in the woodline and rubber is the way to go.

I have Arcteryx/OTTE layers as well but for the bush those Helly's are perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by never.truly.lost View Post
    Helly Hansen Impertech hands down. No need to baby it, can sit by a fire and not worry about getting ember holes (fix with shoe goo and duct tape), and works in the brush line. Above treeline you could go with a membrane based setup but most of BC is in the woodline and rubber is the way to go.

I have Arcteryx/OTTE layers as well but for the bush those Helly's are perfect.
    That's what I've been using and it's been great but I would not buy it again because I found out they are Antihunters supporters

Iv been on the sitka for years, and will never change.

two years ago, I ripped my pant side zipper off my cloudburst pants (snagged a branch when running through the shintangle) which I had about 4-5 hard years on already. Sitka sent me a new set of stormfront’s on warranty, but they didn’t look after the duty charge when they shipped them. I contacted sitka, they said if I paid the duty, I could keep them and they would send another cloudburst set free of charge. Just goes to show, the big $$ is worth the customer service. I was able to stitch my old set back together as well.

I sold the stormfronts, I didn’t care for the straps at the ankles, seemed like a tripping hazard. I roll with the cloudburst pants and dew point jacket. The dew point is just a shell, but makes layering easy. The cloudburst pants are a good middle between light and durable. My dewpoint jacket is pushing 5-6-7 years old, but still keeps me dry.

buy once cry once.

I have the HH rubbers and Sitka Cloudburst jacket and packable but strong Dew Point pants. If I'm moose hunting or in the thick stuff you can't really beat the HH. If I plan on hiking a bit or for longer adventures I take the Sitka. My uncle runs the Arcteryx Leaf stuff and hes happy with it. All that being said if I had to do it over I would have just bout the Stormfront suit and called it done. Its really a do it all rain gear setup from what I have heard time and time again.

I have used Arcteryx for the past twenty years for both my occupations. I have been exposed to numerous brands too and Kuiu is by far the most popular. I like the fact they have non-camo patterns too. However last Fall I was exposed to First Lite and wow (Steve Rinella of Meat Eater brand) I was impressed. So much so I purchased the SEAK jacket and pants in non-camo. It also gets very good reviews. You can't go wrong with Arcteryx (non-hunting company), Kuiu, or First Lite and it becomes personal preference if you are after a particular camo pattern....which rules out Arcteryx.... Good luck!
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

I’ve had the Sitka downpour for a few years now and it’s the best rain coat I’ve had. It’s a little heavy for backpacking, but definitely worth it. I like how big and rigid the hood is. It’s goretex with a laminated soft shell on the outside to keep the noise down.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Iv been on the sitka for years, and will never change.

two years ago, I ripped my pant side zipper off my cloudburst pants (snagged a branch when running through the shintangle) which I had about 4-5 hard years on already. Sitka sent me a new set of stormfront’s on warranty, but they didn’t look after the duty charge when they shipped them. I contacted sitka, they said if I paid the duty, I could keep them and they would send another cloudburst set free of charge. Just goes to show, the big $$ is worth the customer service. I was able to stitch my old set back together as well.

I sold the stormfronts, I didn’t care for the straps at the ankles, seemed like a tripping hazard. I roll with the cloudburst pants and dew point jacket. The dew point is just a shell, but makes layering easy. The cloudburst pants are a good middle between light and durable. My dewpoint jacket is pushing 5-6-7 years old, but still keeps me dry.

buy once cry once.
    I always forget to ask you what you're running. Now I know.

On that note, I'd follow Decker on his recommendations when I upgrade from my helly hansen impratech pants and carhart breathable jacket that is a little short in the sleeves and allows my other layers to suck up water...

I have been using outdoor research foray jacket and pants. Been very happy with them my buddy who has kuiu stuff just replaced with OR

I’ve had chugach and impertech

love both, Sold kuiu it was too small. Would I buy again? In a heart beat. But it’s 900 bucks, almost afraid to wear it.

I love my HH for the fact that you can beat the shit out of it, not worry too much. And very waterproof. Just doesn’t breathe. Strip down to base layers before your hike!