Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: moose cull to save caribou?? wtf

Re: moose cull to save caribou?? wtf

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    BCWF has been known to accept funds from known environmental groups in order to “enhance” wildlife.
    Can we find any disclosure of that on the BCWF site? Would explain a lot if you're correct.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    This is not a "moose cull". Far from it.

Jesse has been open about sharing facts, not hearsay. It's disappointing to see all of the misinformation and outright lies from the usual suspects talking in circles and getting the uninformed stirred up. There is a small increase in tags in one area. An area that has seen the moose population increase 55% in 2 years and has heavy wolf reduction going on.

Hunters cried for science-based management when the grizzly hunt was shut down. Can't cherry pick when science doesn't align with your socially-motivated stance.
    Which Regions and which MU's have seen that increase?
    (Not here to argue that point with you but would like to know which ones)

Now, if my mind and eyes haven't left me, I saw something somewhere in R3, where they were going to increase cow/calf tags.
    And I hunt that area in a couple of those MU's.
    And I am utterly baffled as to "Why they increased" the harvest of them.
    I am all for hunter opportunity and success over trophy size.
    But, in those MU's, there aint that many Moose, and they get hunted/poached and FN'd like crazy.

BUT, the biggest impact has been "the wolves"!!!!!
    Not only for Moose, but the MD as well.
    Why cull more Moose??? in there.

This is an area that hasn't seen wolves in forever, to the best of my knowledge, like a great many areas where wolves are moving into.

AND, I don't see any wolf cull happening!???? in there.
    SO, before I agree to Moose being taken, especially where I think it could hold a lot more Moose anyways, and gets a lot of pressure both locally and by LM hunters, we should be
    targeting the Wolves!
    And not just by hunters, by the Ministry!

Then, and only then would I support an increase in those areas of Moose tags.

Now, some areas you are possibly discussing with a 55% increase, maybe that is different?
    Again, would like to know where that is.
    And if Moose are increasing like that, then those areas probably have had the wolves removed, which is exactly what every0one is saying to do....FIRST!

How about the 2000 plus antlerless elk authorizations that followed a lengthy GOS on antlerless elk in the Peace agriculture zone? Mule deer antlerless for a while too in the same area. The mandate was to reduce the mule deer and elk population by half in response to lobbying from ranchers. This site has been full of posts asking for information about those hunts. Bison hunts - any animal. These hunts have overlapped successive governments. The only science was the fact that reducing the number of cows and does would decrease the elk and mule deer numbers where the antlered season wouldn’t. The 50% reduction mandate was never achieved, but elk antlerless authorizations have been cut in half and the mule deer antlerless season is gone.
    Last edited by 2chodi; 06-21-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    Can we find any disclosure of that on the BCWF site? Would explain a lot if you're correct.
    I believe it was Raincoast for $50,000.00 but can’t recall the project. Seems two or three years back.

I have been corrected......

It was Moore Foundation and Tides Canada for $500,000.00

Thes are the same groups that funded Coastal First Nations to help end the grizzly hunt.

The money was for BCWF wetlands projects, my source says some of the funds made it to destinations intended.
    Last edited by gcreek; 06-21-2020 at 06:00 PM.

B.C.'s director of wildlife and habitat, Jennifer Psyllakis, said the proposed numbers for moose cow and calf tags are not significant over last year — in 2019, 357 authorizations were issued, and this year, the province is looking to increase that to 400. Of the 357 tags issued in 2019, 79 antlerless moose were killed.

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this has already been answered. The OP has this statement above from Psyllakis.

Doing the math it appears as if 9 more moose may be killed than last year.

Is this a real issue?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this has already been answered. The OP has this statement above from Psyllakis.

Doing the math it appears as if 9 more moose may be killed than last year.

Is this a real issue?

Yes. Next year they may add 100 more.

It should tell you how low the numbers are by the poor success percentages.
    Last edited by gcreek; 06-21-2020 at 07:31 PM.

Yes. Next year they may add 100 more.

It should tell you how low the numbers are by the poor success percentages.

22% Harvest rate.

20-25% harvest rate is pretty consistent with past moose harvest rates IIRC.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

22% Harvest rate.

20-25% harvest rate is pretty consistent with past moose harvest rates IIRC.
    For how many years?

I recall taking ones pick.

And having a GOS for caribou bulls and an LEH for 20 cows. And a GOS on Grizzlies. Only thing different was fewer predators.
    Last edited by gcreek; 06-21-2020 at 09:33 PM.

For how many years?

I recall taking ones pick.

And having a GOS for caribou bulls and an LEH for 20 cows. And a GOS on Grizzlies. Only thing different was fewer predators.

And you could get a beer for a nickel at one point too.

Question still remains- if this is over 9 more dead moose, is it really an issue?

And you could get a beer for a nickel at one point too.

Question still remains- if this is over 9 more dead moose, is it really an issue?
    The answer is still yes, the issue is not 9 more dead cow moose, the issue is the thousands of wolves and grizzlies basically unchecked in this province that need reining in.