Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: moose cull to save caribou?? wtf

Re: moose cull to save caribou?? wtf

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    This is kind of like tying all four legs up on a frog, making a loud noise in an attempt to make it jump and claiming it has gone deaf.

Those with an agenda can spout off anything. The only thing the moose and caribou have in common in this immediate area is that wolves and grizzlies have decimated both populations. Prove me wrong............
    No doubt both are a factor in the declining numbers of both.
    In 5-03 & surrounding regions the bear populations have drastically increased over the last dozen years or so & the moose & probably caribou have steadily declined. Based on our observations & other hunters & locals.
    They also attribute the dwindling numbers to night hunting & indiscriminate year round slaughter.
    Bears are very efficient newborn killers be it moose or caribou. Their sense of smell is about 20x greater than that of a wolf.

Never seen or heard wolves in the 5-03 & immediate surrounding areas until about 8 to 10 years ago. Late at night I called in a big pack of wolves that were still around at day break.
    Close to camp they tried to catch a big deer that was sleeping but were unsuccessful(snow evidence)

Moose hunting near Germansen was surrounded by a large pack of wolves in the evening shortly after about a 6" snow dump. They circled my vehicle & the open shack where I was staying but left me alone. I was ready!
    Next morning learned by the fresh tracks that they were after 2 moose -probably a cow & a calf.

Not that far from the area LT(LOVER 308 ) & I came across a freshly killed large moose by the lake but the huge grizz decided to run away instead of charging. We were ready.
    Last edited by mpotzold; 06-20-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    This is kind of like tying all four legs up on a frog, making a loud noise in an attempt to make it jump and claiming it has gone deaf.

Those with an agenda can spout off anything. The only thing the moose and caribou have in common in this immediate area is that wolves and grizzlies have decimated both populations. Prove me wrong............
    I have to agree with you.

Before any type of "alternate plan" is considered, such as removing Moose.
    Shouldn't it be obvious to actually take the 1st step and remove wolves etc.
    Then, and only then, if there are issues still, then we can look at alternates to help??

I get that with issues such as this thread, that much of the time, it is several factors that lead to issues and then become the problems we see.
    Which one then has to think there needs to be several plans put in place and used.

But when you don't use the first one, pred control, I have no idea how it can be "skipped" and move right onto "Moose control"???
    And that's the issue here.

Arrow Re: moose cull to save caribou?? wtf

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    So, who are the "People" advocating for a moose cull?
    Jesse Zeeman of the BCWF for one.

Here is his latest "defense" of this matter on FaceBook:

"Are you a number 1 or a number 2?

1) "I want science-based wildlife management"

2) "No one should hunt mommies and baby moose"

If you find yourself thinking or saying number 2 at any time, you can't be a number 1.

If you eat meat you should recognize the steak you buy in the store is from 18 months old 'baby' steers and heifers, the pork you buy is from a 6 months old pig, meat chickens live 6-9 weeks, and finally the eggs you eat are, well eggs.

The fish you catch and the ones you buy are mommies, daddies, and babies, the halibut and cod you buy in stores are often 'babies', and for a number of species you hunt/trap it is extremely hard to separate the differences in sex. So whether you buy your meat or hunt and fish for it, you eat 'mommies and babies'.

If you find yourself in the number two camp, but you're eating or buying steak, pork, eggs, fish, bears, deer, or moose, it's time for a reality check.

You should also consider, if you were opposed to closing grizzly bear hunting and you said "we want science", and you're now saying "no one should hunt mommies and baby moose", you're in the same camp as the anti-hunting movement.

Hunters don't need enemies, when they have 'friends' like this."

https://www.facebook.com/jesse.zeman...63596550385401

I simply reacted with "NOT buying in Jesse".

Form your own opinions. I have, and am sticking by them.

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

If you find yourself thinking or saying number 2 at any time, you can't be a number 1.

If you eat meat you should recognize the steak you buy in the store is from 18 months old 'baby' steers and heifers, the pork you buy is from a 6 months old pig, meat chickens live 6-9 weeks, and finally the eggs you eat are, well eggs.

The fish you catch and the ones you buy are mommies, daddies, and babies, the halibut and cod you buy in stores are often 'babies', and for a number of species you hunt/trap it is extremely hard to separate the differences in sex. So whether you buy your meat or hunt and fish for it, you eat 'mommies and babies'.

If you find yourself in the number two camp, but you're eating or buying steak, pork, eggs, fish, bears, deer, or moose, it's time for a reality check.

You should also consider, if you were opposed to closing grizzly bear hunting and you said "we want science", and you're now saying "no one should hunt mommies and baby moose", you're in the same camp as the anti-hunting movement.

Nog

Hahaha, I’m not allowed to go to that page any more, must have really struck a nerve. Their loss.

Thanks Matt for carrying the torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I have to agree with you.

Before any type of "alternate plan" is considered, such as removing Moose.
    Shouldn't it be obvious to actually take the 1st step and remove wolves etc.
    Then, and only then, if there are issues still, then we can look at alternates to help??

I get that with issues such as this thread, that much of the time, it is several factors that lead to issues and then become the problems we see.
    Which one then has to think there needs to be several plans put in place and used.

But when you don't use the first one, pred control, I have no idea how it can be "skipped" and move right onto "Moose control"???
    And that's the issue here.
    We agreed on something! Hopefully Hell not freezing over tomorrow.

i am very thankful so many are coming to the realization that what I have observed over the last 40 years is actually happening.

Now let’s save some ungulates from those with a death wish for them.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

Nog
    Sounds so similar to when they implemented the whitetail doe season in the EK funny how so many on here supported that but was not for it either.

The quote from Jesse Zeeman in BCWF. After a wonderfully patronizing and obnoxious statement like that, I can't imagine why anyone would pay attention to anything he says. No wonder the BCWF has slid so far in the last couple of decades if this is any indication of the individuals running it.

With everything I see happening these days on social media and the continuous knee jerk reactions I see to the "on-line" attacks by politicians, bureaucrats and corporate boards...well I just keep thinking that social media is going to be the end of us. One thing is for sure, the less I have to do with it the better I feel.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    The quote from Jesse Zeeman in BCWF. After a wonderfully patronizing and obnoxious statement like that, I can't imagine why anyone would pay attention to anything he says. No wonder the BCWF has slid so far in the last couple of decades if this is any indication of the individuals running it.

With everything I see happening these days on social media and the continuous knee jerk reactions I see to the "on-line" attacks by politicians, bureaucrats and corporate boards...well I just keep thinking that social media is going to be the end of us. One thing is for sure, the less I have to do with it the better I feel.

You are likely right about social media, however, knowledge is not a bad thing. We only need to strain the soup to keep the meat and potatoes.

While I do find the Liberal ads about “baby moose” a little over the top, one does wonder just how gullible BCWF thinks it’s membership is.

If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.