Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: moose cull to save caribou?? wtf

Re: moose cull to save caribou?? wtf

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    do you know if the population of moose is anywhere near carrying capacity....a 55% increase if we were only at 10% of carrying capacity is nothing more than a good start at recovery not justification for a population reduction/increased harvest....
    Yes, much better to use percentages than actual numbers. Moose count here in early 2019, two helicopters and a fixed wing. Counted 107 moose on west side of Itcha mountains from Anahim Lake to Tatla Lake general area. Moose allocations for LEH last fall in same area was about 160 bulls. Some Ting Wong.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    From what I understand, their plan is to continue a rather aggressive wolf cull in the specified areas where they are also asking hunters to harvest moose.
    So, you're the second person to suggest an "aggressive wolf cull" is taking place. Government doesn't do anything like that without written policy and procedures, assigned budget and people. If you can't demonstrate this in any form, I wished you'd stick to what you do know. My position is, unless otherwise demonstrated, there is no Government direction advocating an "aggressive" wolf cull anywhere in BC. Prove me wrong.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Yes, much better to use percentages than actual numbers. Moose count here in early 2019, two helicopters and a fixed wing. Counted 107 moose on west side of Itcha mountains from Anahim Lake to Tatla Lake general area. Moose allocations for LEH last fall in same area was about 160 bulls. Some Ting Wong.
    if those were the official numbers the area could have gone from 70 moose to 108 in 2 years =55% increase but if the area has a carrying capacity of 2000 moose, there would still be a long road to recovery

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/en..._reduction.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    So, you're the second person to suggest an "aggressive wolf cull" is taking place. Government doesn't do anything like that without written policy and procedures, assigned budget and people. If you can't demonstrate this in any form, I wished you'd stick to what you do know. My position is, unless otherwise demonstrated, there is no Government direction advocating an "aggressive" wolf cull anywhere in BC. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    if those were the official numbers the area could have gone from 70 moose to 108 in 2 years =55% increase but if the area has a carrying capacity of 2000 moose, there would still be a long road to recovery
    IIRC, the numbers two years previous were nearly double. Also an interesting observation by those counting were most moose were in close proximity to ranches and hay yards. Safety maybe also?

I was speaking tongue in cheek concerning percentages.

Great info 2chodi, thanks. Everyone should read this.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Thanks, after a short read, I guess they have. 2 wolves per 1000 square k? Too bad they don't do that as a general game management strategy. I still say you haven't kill enough wolves if you're thinking of killing moose to either kill wolves or have them move on.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    Thanks, after a short read, I guess they have. 2 wolves per 1000 square k? Too bad they don't do that as a general game management strategy. I still say you haven't kill enough wolves if you're thinking of killing moose to either kill wolves or have them move on.
    My thoughts as well. Taking them out of a small area is like pulling your finger out of a glass of water considering the population of wolves province wide.

1000 sq. km. is not that big of an area when you really think of it 20 x 50 km......
    How many prey animals are supposed to inhabit the same area considering a mature wolf will eat the equivalent of 10 full grown moose in a year?
    Last edited by gcreek; 06-23-2020 at 06:09 PM.

Wonder how much of this concludes with further study needed?
    Go deep into the story and find the truth.........

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/speciesconservation/mc/files/Recommendations_Predator-Prey_Management_Final.pdf
    Last edited by bownut; 06-23-2020 at 07:43 PM.

Chew on this also.
    cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yukon-moose-harvest-pressure-map-1.4016653