Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: moose cull to save caribou?? wtf

Re: moose cull to save caribou?? wtf

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Doing one without the other is ridiculous.

Oh, right. We are talking about government...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Ok. So do an LEH on cow/calf and a bounty on wolves. Doing one without the other is ridiculous.
    I completely agree! I think they should put a bounty on wolves so trappers, GOS, and residents have more incentive for reducing the wolf population. They are reducing wolves in conjunction with the moose cow/calf LEH in the Revelstoke area though from what I understand. This is just the evidence to back up opening a cow/calf season in addition to the wolf culling.

even if stripping the land of major wildlife worked. how long would the effect last....dogs breed faster than any ungulate so recovery of preds would be faster than prey

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest the Land View Post
    I totally agree that both parties suck, and neither seems to give a f_ck about wildlife mgt & research. Although the BC Libs never banned the black bear hunt in the 90's, nor did they ban the Grizz hunt. Can you show me where I can read more about this originally being a plan made by the BC Liberals? I know they were the architects of the wolf culls, but did not know they were also the architects of any moose cull. Would love to read more about that.

Thanks in advance!
    I am more inclined to believe this pipe dream was created by a bureaucrat and sold to a few bunny hugging MLAs than put a political name to it. Too bad we can’t fire idiots from these positions without a huge severance package.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Recall in the now vaporized thread that I suggested you do some more learnin' before decided your opinion on the matter?

I told you this was ALL political... back then hunters were expressing to the current governments that this was stupid, but no one would listen.
    CBC sure wouldn't write about the hunters' concerns back then....

I suggest you lay off the claims that hunters are picking on the NDP.
    We have made the same assertions to ALL political parties.

Yes, you will have a VERY hard time using google and reading "journalist" articles to learn the history of culling wolves.

This has been a covert operation from the beginning.

I was the first person in Alberta, perhaps in BC too, to publicly reveal that these governments were killing moose to starve wolves to save caribou.
    I was met with dumbfounded skepticism.
    When I produced unpublished documents that connected the dots, people began to believe what I was saying.

Back in the early 2000's , the Caribou commission suggested culling wolves to save caribou.
    Politicians said no, give us another option.
    Bio's said, well, here is an unproven theory, we can try killing moose.
    Politicians, yah, we'll use the hunters without their knowledge to kill moose.

So, moose tags were increased.... hunters did not know why, believing that the moose population was still be managed for stability.

Now we have several well researched studies that show culling moose does not help caribou.
    Hunters are aware that the government will indeed prioritize politics over wildlife health and abuse the relationship with hunters, lie and use them..
    This time, hunters are ready and willing to stand our ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    You say, "
    the majority of the facts I have mentioned are backed up by objective science
    "
    That's not true.
    The research facts have shown that culling moose with or without wolf culling is not contributing to increased caribou survival.

You even go on to say "
    the science on a combination approach of reducing wolves and reducing moose is not conclusive
    "....
    So, now you say your facts are not conclusive....
    I say the facts are conclusive, culling moose does not work.
    Why keep hammering your thumb to see if maybe the next time it will be a good idea?

I provided the scientific facts showing that culling moose does not work.
    You are just providing a weakening rhetorical rebuttal apparently in an effort to maintain part of your initial opinion.

Time to let it go.

The caribou issue is MUCH more complicated than just potential wolf/moose parasitic symbiosis.
    Governments know what they need to do if the objective is to protect these herds.
    The NDP plan is nothing more than a old stinkin' herring they pulled out from the gut bin.
    Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    You have to be a MORON if you Believe THIS Idea of there's is gonna Work ! jmo RJ
    I’m going to ask the same damn question I asked in my disappearing thread... Why not relocate these moose? There are other regions with critically low moose populations!
    It is still cheaper to deal with the predators than moving one reduced population of moose to another reduced population area. Far more effective too.

Let’s not forget the BCWF is in support of this idiocy to create more opportunity to hunters.

So they think killing more moose will lower the wolf population so the wolves won't have as big an impact on the Caribou population? I wonder if they considered all those starving wolves who would have otherwise ate a moose, will now eat a caribou?
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    So they think killing more moose will lower the wolf population so the wolves won't have as big an impact on the Caribou population? I wonder if they considered all those starving wolves who would have otherwise ate a moose, will now eat a caribou?
    Apparantly the STUPID think not ! WOW ! and there educated too ! RJ

180, let’s not forget wolves also eat deer, elk, sheep, livestock and pets.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Apparantly the STUPID think not ! WOW ! and there educated too ! RJ
    Geez RJ......
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    This makes perfect sense to me....no Moose, no Caribou, lots of Wolves....=....no GOS...no LEH....no hunting except for...