Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling bears?

Calling bears?

I just can't seem to make predator calls work, or maybe the one I've been using is inappropriate for bears that have never seen a rabbit. I don't know.

I was in a bear-rich area last week and called and called with a Primo's 3rd degree. Nothing came in. Tried the same call in another scat laden area two weeks ago again with nothing coming in.

I have two other calls, an old Haydel's bear call that sounds like a squalling cub and another one that is more like a squealing fawn. I think I'll deploy that one on my next trip out.

The 3rd Degree did call in a herd of range cows and a coyote a couple years ago when I was trying to tempt a big black bear out of the woods I'd seen the day before.

Ideas?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Calling bears?

Use the fawn. Lots of good groceries on the side of the road right now. A lot of times it is just not worth their effort. I find that sows respond a lot better than boars to calls, but have called bears with the fawn. good luck, let us know how it goes.

I tried calling yesterday while watching bears found six in one valley. They did not even really react, they looked in my direction and carried on feeding on the Salmon berries.

fawn calls definitely work. got me my bear this year. he waddled out of a clearing and as a last-ditch i hit the call. he didn't come charging out but he was curious enough to pop back out and start sniffing the wind. now he's in my freezer.

I called one in without a "predator call" I just used like a whiney hurt animal voice lol worked really good almost too good as I had to do a head shot from 40 yards to stop him from coming to eat me...heres the thread http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...8798-Bear-down

Bears are tricky to call but Ive called in a whole bunch with a rabbit distress. One, they are lazy if there is lots of food so call pretty much non stop for 15 minutes, if nothing comes move. Ive had them coming in beeline, stopped calling and they immediately lose interest. Two, camo up, you'd be surprised how many bears sneak in really close to check out whats goin on then leave without a noise when they see or smell you, Ive had them at 15 yds and not heard a noise, just saw their eyes before the ghosted out of there. Three, stand up and be prepared for fun, last called bear I shot at 4 yds.

Bears you can see are a lot easier to call than calling blind. Some bears won’t pay any attention whatsoever. And others will just disappear and then show up where you don’t expect it. And others will charge hard right up to you.

Hanging a piece of white cloth about 5 feet off the ground on a limb about 15 yards upwind of your position if you are calling blind or in lower visibility areas will make it easier on your heart if you startle easily. They almost always key in on the cloth first.

Pretty handy if you are calling in grizz country too.

I have called both black and brown bears with a fawn distress. However, in my experience it is only a small percentage of bears that will come to the call. I have tried many times being able to see the bear and them not pay any attention at all or maybe just look but not come. Then you have the one that just comes straight to ya on string.

I’ve never cold called one in.
    But I’ve used it a call many times for bears that I’ve glassed up.
    Never seen them come directly in. The bears I’ve had interested Seem to Zig zag or traverse the cut block to try to get my wind.

When cold calling I think If the setup isn’t perfect many bears would probably circle your location to get your wind never to be seen.

I’ve never called a bear but when I researched the subject I read that bear lose interest quickly to calling. You almost have to be constantly calling. The bear could be coming in to your call but when you stop for a breather or between sets, he’ll lose interest and walk away.