Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bday bear!

Bday bear!

Yet another birthday has come and gone, (mine!!) thankfully!! But what a day. My daughter and I took off to the trailer a few days before mom joined us and got a few full on days in trying to get her onto a bear. We tried our usual favorites but slow going, not even too many deer. Then on our way into a good spot we busted a bear on the road the next valley over. We got out and spent a few minutes glassing him as he walked between the trees. Once decided he was worth a try, we turned the truck around and headed towards him. 10 min later we parked the truck about 1km short and began the stalk. Wind at our face we thought all was going to work out well. No sooner than we made the bend in the road to the last 100yds we thought, the wind changed and came right at our backs and down towards the bear. Thankfully he was now quite a bit below where we had seen him initially and in a deep pocket. Heather gets set up behind a few small trees and readies for the shot. What seemed like forever he finally turns broadside and offers the shot she needs. BOOM. The bear shows the reaction we all want to see, BUT gets up and like many have seen, he heads south. FAST!! runs 50 yards to the edge of the trees and disappears.

That unsure feeling of "did I miss" sets in. We waited a few minutes to see if we could hear the "moan" but the wind was so loud, that wasn't happening. We make our way down through the slash and start to look for sign. 15 min criss-crossing where we thought he'd been standing we find this.

We searched for 10 more min before a second drop was found, not huge drops. Now Heather is starting to feel upset that it was a injured bear and not a lethal shot. We search for another 15 min we figure. Heading further down the steep ass ravine. Slowly the drops become larger, Dad's feel mixed. It's a good shot and knows whats ahead once we find him. Going deeper into the crap with the help of the pooch we finally find him. All balled up under some blow downs. Seems he'd ran 50yds from where he was hit and 75yds over the edge and into the ravine. How an animal with no lungs can run so far so fast and get so stuck always amazes me.

Now it's on. Un-sticking him, clearing trees so we can dress him for the hump back to the landing.

We got him all cleaned and back to the landing in just over an hour. Not nearly as long as I'd thought. Heather goes for the truck, (youthful legs LOL)
    while I got the last of him.

Once back at camp and cleaned up a little more, dad's on the hook for some taxidermy!! And it was my birthday LOL Best damn present a dad could ask for. She's still beaming.

Not as round as first thought but 5'6" nose to tail and a colour I've never laid hands on.

Would have been a spectacular day if I'm not missed the fat Chocolate bear we busted on our way out LOL

Won't soon beat that day, not sure I want too!!
    Last edited by Steeleco; 06-15-2020 at 08:41 AM.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bday bear!

Thats a beauty! Congrats

great job ...man that colour is gorgeous and happy belated Bday

Great colour on that bear, congrats Heather and a belated Happy Birthday Dad.
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

Congrats, nice blonde!
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

sweet good job

High fives all around Steely!!!
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Awesome ! Congrats on a GREAT Family outing and your Daughter getting a Beauty Bear ! RJ

Sounds like a terrific day for your family!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Very cool colour, congrats to you and your daughter! A birthday present indeed