Thread: So I put a down payment on another Chesapeake Bay Retriever puppy.

So I put a down payment on another Chesapeake Bay Retriever puppy.

I couldn't locate any litters locally so I started looking to Eastern Canada. Found a few unregistered as well as some registered but little to no confirmation for what I was looking for so I ended up looking south of the border, on the east coast, and pretty close to Chesapeake Bay at that.

A good friend of mine and a Chessie owner and breeder pointed me to the Kennel that Marshall's mother originally came from. Just as it so happened he had a litter that was due in August and still had Male and Female puppies available for reservation. I said I wanted another male, but also said I wouldn't say no to a female if the girls outnumbered the boys in the litter.

The Sire is CH POND HOLLOW A SPECIAL DEACON MH

The Dame is DEL BRAVE WHISTLE STOP SH DS (Major pointed)

CH = AKC Champion of Show
    MH = AKC Master Hunter
    SH = AKC Senior Hunter
    DS = AKC Dock Senior ( Major air time and distance when jumping off a dock)

The only thing that really concerns me at the moment is the covid situation south of the border and trying to get the puppy home. I do have a plan B, C and D if for some reason the border hasn't opened back up yet. Oh yeah the other thing that concerns me is the Canadian dollar is presently at .71 american.
    Last edited by Marc; 06-14-2020 at 06:32 PM.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: So I put a down payment on another Chesapeake Bay Retriever puppy.

Congrats! It will all work out at the border I'm sure... your new friend will get here before the second wave!! ;-0
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Well, for ‘the other thing” you can’t put a price tag on puppy licks and snuggles. So here’s to hoping that “the only thing” is easy!
    Pretend hunter.

Awesome Marc!!

I think you will be fine by the time your pup is ready to make his trip home to you. I'm sure you aren't the first one trying to bring a pup in from the states since Covid.

With the amount of crap we hunters blow money on, a good puppy is money well spent

Well, things didn't go exactly as planned. I was number 6 on the list for a pup and the mother had 6 pups but one unfortunately didn't make it. So I fell off the list and the breeder sent me a cheque in the mail. I was busy with work so I didn't get a chance to cash the cheque then I notice a couple of weeks later that he had a cancellation on a female from the previous litter of 12! I fire him off a text and ask if he can hang on to her for me since I hadn't cashed the cheque he had a deposit.

Not the same parents but still some amazing lineage with Master Hunters on both sides.

Let the training begin!

My young fella and I decided on the name Skadi.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skadi_with_toy.jpg  

BCWF

Can't wait to meet her Marc. Have fun

Cool how things work out sometimes!!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Glad things worked out for you! I can imagine the disappointment you must have felt when there wasn't six pups in the litter you had put a deposit on.

I remember vividly a lot of restless nights waiting for the the litter I had a deposit on to be born.. I had 4th female of the litter and even though griffs often have 10-12 pups you never know how many there will be of each gender. Since the pups were supposed to be born right on or near Christmas day I was either going to get my best Christmas present ever or a lump of coal.

Turns out there were 10 pups in the litter, but only 4 females so I ended up getting the last female! Oh, happy day. All I know is if the other females turned out anything like Sako they must be a hell of good dog because I couldn't be anymore pleased with how mine turned out,,,,,both training and health-wise.

Good luck with your pup! When will you get her?

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Good luck with your pup! When will you get her?
    I picked her up last Saturday from Vancouver. She's now settled in and knows the property and her name. Now the fun and games begin.

BCWF

Awesome looking pup Marc! I love the breed. I’ve got a big ol male chessie myself. Hard to beat them. Good luck with her!