Thread: Southern island Recreational salmon fishery dead?

Southern island Recreational salmon fishery dead?

No surprise here,we’ve seen it coming for years, smaller fish,some runs almost gone, more and more restrictions,seal and sea lions population increasing exponentially, zero control( some places you can’t land a fish- seriously) nets across rivers, questions about disease in fish farms transferring to wild salmon , and claims about southern orcas numbers declining ( northern populations are NOT starving,numbers burgeoning) and now what could be the coup de grace- the rockslide on the Fraser
    It all adds up to our once healthy recreational salmon fishery that we all thought would last forever ( and all the infrastructure that supports it) virtually gone,and nobody in Ottawa even seems to care,other than pay lip service and collect licence fees all the while reducing what opportunity to go out and catch a salmon there
    is left

Meanwhile California is enjoying the payoff of hatcheries and stream enhancement- Chinook numbers not seen in many decades..The recreational salmon fishery is fantastic...but our’elitist’wild salmon ‘purists’ would rather see the salmon go extinct than do the obvious- get more fish in the system.Modern hatcheries are not repeating the mistakes of decades ago,but are going for a diverse gene pool and enhancing survival and its paying off...meanwhile our marinas are empty ,the guides have sold their boats and moved away..great fisheries management...just great and nobody’s listening..even if they did,at age 73 ,it will take more time than I have left,taking grandkids out for a salmon trip off Sooke and watching them play a big spring is just something I can cross off my bucket list,and the worst thing is,it didn’t have to be this way..
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 05-17-2020 at 11:32 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Southern island Recreational salmon fishery dead?

Buddy caught/released 60 Chinook in 5 hrs off Coho point a couple days ago...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I've been catching lots of Springs off Victoria. Just can't keep any. American hatchery fish though.

Same story in Nootka/Esperanza, except you can bonk em there. 3 tyees that I know of already...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..