Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: August sheep hunt weather

Re: August sheep hunt weather

Biggest problem with last year was river crossings becoming impossible in some areas. Bunker down and wait it out and be prepared

Lots of people underestimate how much extra food to cache at your base camp or airstrip. When we arrived at Dease the planes hadn’t flown in 5 days. I spoke to one group after they got out and they had been sharing one or two Ptarmigan a day between 4 guys for a few days.

Expect a "dog's breakfast" of weather. Albravo is right ... I can handle all, but a constant wind (sometimes days) is exhausting.
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

In northern BC you can expect snow, rain, wind, pea soup fog, blistering heat, thunder and lightning, we were in for 13 nights 3 years ago and we had about 5 weather days where we couldn't hunt, so always prepare for the worst, I worship my Hilleberg tent as we had winds of 50. mph and rain for 2 days straight and it did not fail or leak.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Last year when we realized the snow was coming (Inreach) we got down out of the mountains to our pickup spot in one long day. Unfortunately it started hitting hard that night and we were stuck there for another 5-6 days. The snow would have been measured in feet where we were camped up high.
    In 2016 we got hit with the most violent storm I’ve ever been in on a sheep hunt. Bent a pole on a our hilliberg tent. Managed to save the tent and were lucky to get through the night with driving snow/rain, everything soaked and borderline hypothermic. We bailed into the timber the next day and waited a couple days but the forecast was another 4-5 days of snow and rain to follow. Wound up hiking down and waiting at our pickup point for another 4 days before planes could fly again.
    when I saw what was coming last year, it was an easy decision to get down out of the mountains after what happened in 2016. Different types of storms, but both very dangerous to underestimate.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 06-12-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Also creek and river crossings can become suicidal a few days after a snow and rain storm, so it’s not a matter of just waiting out the storm and continue hunting after. Last year when the weather broke and everything started melting, the creeks and rivers we had to cross would have been impossible to cross if we had waited. Lots of risks to consider.

I bailed out after 2 days on a solo above tree-line caribou hunt last year during the storm. After two days of high winds, freezing rain, fog and snow my clothes and tent we getting damp. Was tougher weather than you typically get in August or Sept.

Last year, I was in with my 12 yr old son and 63 yr old Dad. The weather forecast on the inreach was a life saver. I was watching Caribou through the scope (one might have been legal) but I made the decision to head out. We got out and started driving home through a snow storm, started hearing the horror stories in the next few days.

The year before it was 30 degrees and intense sun, got hit with a good rain storm but that's it.

I am excited to see what this year will bring.