Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August sheep hunt weather

August sheep hunt weather

Hey all

Last year was my first sheep hunt in northern B.C we went in mid August. We got word of a large snow storm and got out just in time. I know a little snow can happen at anytime of the year up there but is a big snow storm like that common? Was last year weather unusually bad in mid August. Heading back this year and wondering what we will be in for.

thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: August sheep hunt weather

We went in right after all the snow melted. Met a couple guys on the way in who had weathered the storm under a tarp and had a couple large sets of horns with them. I'd hope for a storm!

Snow in August is common. Last year was not. Several folks who are very experienced had to bail. Usually an August storm will blow over in a couple days. If you are close to timber head down and wait it out.

I have had 20 degrees in sept and didn't even put the fly on my tent. The next year it was hail and snow during the same dates. Its the north, expect it all and be prepared.
    Barnes ttsx, the four pedals of death that lead to great a great BBQ.

From what I was told last year storm which hit most of northern bc in mid August was a fair bit worse then normal. Just wanted to hear what all of you have experienced over the years. We were a fair ways above the trees and would of been skiing out of there

I have hit everything but nothing like last year, thankfully i went three weeks after the storm. All the years i have never seen snow for more than 2 days and were talking 6" - 8" at end of august. This all melted after a few days and everything was back to normal.

The worst weather scenarios for me were both long ago in the cassiars - 10 days of rain on a 12 day hunt in spatsizi. The two days that werent raining were mix of sun, cloud, high wind and showers. Another was a hike in for sheep, the first night we got winds that were upwards of 100km on the mountain which destroyed our tent at about 4am and it was a whiteout of snow. We had to bail off the mountain and I happen to lose my compass and I had no GPS back then. We went wrong way off mountain where snow turned to rain - 24hrs later found our way back to the trailhead.

Ever since those trips, I prepare for all and definitely head to a safer locations lower elevation with wood, shelter and water and wait it out IF things get bad. There are lots of times where it seems like its a hurricane coming but ends up being a short squall and you can continue.

Last years Snowmageddon in mid august caught a lot of people by surprise. The snow dump combined with heavy rains, wind and fog made it tough on pilots and hunters that were stuck out in camps. We flew out of Dease on the 21st, when we got there on the 18th BC Yukon hadn’t flown in 4 days and it was sketchy getting guys in and out. I spoke to two guys that had hiked 15 km up into the alpine and got caught in the snowstorm. What took them 2 days to go up took almost 4 to get down. They were hiking down boulder fields in waist deep snow. Some people laugh when you pack puffy pants and jackets for August hunts,,,, never know.

August moutain weather... I had days with every possible weather within daylight hours: Sunshine, hot, hail, rain and snow, then sun again... Be prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    August moutain weather... I had days with every possible weather within daylight hours: Sunshine, hot, hail, rain and snow, then sun again... Be prepared for anything!
    100% correct but you forgot WINDY! I find wind is one of the most exhausting weather types.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Last August (mid) wasn't the norm IMO and experience. Snow yes but not that amount and at such low elevation too. Like 264mag suggest above, it caught a lot of people by surprise, me included. It was interesting watching alpine critters head to the timber in advance of the storm....if I recall we were camp bound for almost five days....
    As others have said, be prepared for anything.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience