Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recovering an Animal after 36+ Hours

Re: Recovering an Animal after 36+ Hours

I would assume one could still take the hide even if the meat is spoiled? Maybe a messier job for taxidermy but not out of the question?

Quote Originally Posted by agentfridge View Post
    I would assume one could still take the hide even if the meat is spoiled? Maybe a messier job for taxidermy but not out of the question?
    I'm not so sure.
    I thought that one had to take the bear meat home regardless if it's spoiled or not.
    This is probably one of the reasons there are so many black bears in some areas. Was not required until the late 80's if I recall!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    I'm not so sure.
    I thought that one had to take the bear meat home regardless if it's spoiled or not.
    This is probably one of the reasons there are so many black bears in some areas. Was not required until the late 80's if I recall!
    You have to take the "edible portions" if its sour, that isn't edible. I wouldnt risk taking anything in that cause cause if a CO found you with a hide and skull and no meat its going to be impossible to justify that one.

It sucks losing an animal but it happens, learn from it and move on. Good luck for the rest of the season!
    - A hunter who doesn't bring home the meat is just an outdoor enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    Shoulder shot to anchor bear. Bears blood trail suck plus their pads don’t leave tracks well in my experience. When you take a shoulder shout it’ll take out lungs or heart
    I've had better luck with tracking spring bears as they don't have as much fat generally as when they're bulked up in the fall, sometimes less hair too. The bear I shot this spring left a blood trail a blind guy could follow, though it wasn't necessary as it keeled over 20yards from where it was shot. Still had a good hide but not much fat left.

mpotzold: using 30-06, 168grain Federal Fusion I believe (will have to check with him on the exact bullet type)

caddisguy: man we had a couple of serious "sh*t your pants" moments wandering around in the dark for sure. Won't be rushing to do that again anytime soon.
    Blood seemed fairly neutral in colour (not overly dark, not super light, and not bubbly).
    I think the blood trail itself was a big learning experience. Each of the deer I've either shot or been present for there was a massive exit wound spray and you could practically jog along the trail. I couldn't find an obvious "exit spray" from this bear, and while there were portions of the trail with decent blood sign there were also long durations spent looking under pine needles, looking for fur on branches, etc. I knew going in that bear's are relatively poor bleeders, but now know that they should be bleeding more than this one!
    Last interesting note was that we seemed to keep finding spots where it had dropped a few turds (they were fairly consistent in size and colour with the fresh pile we found near where it was shot). I don't know if that is indicative of a certain shot? There wasn't any blood in them or anything obviously abnormal.

Quote Originally Posted by agentfridge View Post
    The hide will slip.. In other words, the hair will fall out.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I'm thinking that your friend most likely jerked the trigger when he let fly. The shot went into a non-lethal area and the bear lives on.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I have been crawling through the bush at last light after a wounded bear several times. I will say it is exciting and enjoyable but I have not yet been chewed up. I now run solid copper bullets and aim for the shoulder so as to drop the bear in its tracks, less exciting but more safe.

Quote Originally Posted by nuadixion View Post
    If it wasn't a gut shot you might be able to salvage it.....
    Please keep us posted.
    I agree with the cooler temps and depending on when he passed meat might be ok..

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    I have been crawling through the bush at last light after a wounded bear several times. I will say it is exciting and enjoyable but I have not yet been chewed up. I now run solid copper bullets and aim for the shoulder so as to drop the bear in its tracks, less exciting but more safe.
    One thing I learned is that it is easy (at least for me) to get too focused on the blood trail and but obvious to the big picture. Bear was sitting there 3 yards away, luckily in a dazed state, while I'm still inspecting the ground for little specs of blood. Oops.