Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Bear Tanning

DIY Bear Tanning

Hello:
    Does anyone have any experience with DIY tanning of bear hides? I fully understand that you will not get professional quality, but with good technique and proper supplies how close can you get it? I know its a lot of work and I only want to do it for the experience.
    Steve

2. Site Sponsor

Re: DIY Bear Tanning

A friend did a bear skin fur on with alum , it isn't actually tanning and will need to be redone every several years but it works well for a rug or wall . Bear skins are fatty compared to deer , at least the one I had was like that and it wasn't a fat bear by any means. I had skinned the head out very carefully but the guy tanning it said he didn't get at it quick enough and it rotted so he cut it off , very disappointing as it took me quite a while to skin out the face
    Last edited by Monashee; 06-08-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Halfords used to have a kit but I don't see it on their website any more. Watch brain tanning deer hide it should be close.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I did several different hides including a few bear hides years ago. At that time I purchased the materials from a taxidermy supply place in Calgary. It was fun and interesting but I found the bear hides to be a pain in the butt especially breaking the hides afterwards where when you send them to a tannery they have large tumblers to break and clean the hides. Mine turned out nice but I haven't done any myself since. Too much like work. I'm getting lazy in my old age this year I even sent some weasels away to be tanned.

I’m doing a bear hide right now.

First time also.

What I’ve done thus far:

1. Fleshed our hide as best as reasonably possible.
    2. Salted hide overnight with non-iodized salt.
    3. Made a pickling solution solution of 50:50 white vinegar to water. With a healthy dose of citric acid thrown in because my water is fairly hard.
    4. Soaked hide for 4 days in picking solution adding more citric acid for the first couple days.
    5. Neutralized hide in baking soda water for 15 min.
    6. Clean/de-grease in a several water changes of dawn dish soap and water.
    7. Rinsed clean then hung on a 2x4 frame
    8. Used air compressor to dry off hair side and dog brush to clean up fur.

Tomorrow I’m going to finish fleshing/shaving the skin side to get the hide cleaned up. ( after the pickle the hide plumps up and shows more tissue to remove).

Then I’m thinking I’ll put the hide in a fresh pickle for a couple days, neutralize and wash again then tan.

So far the process hasn’t been too hard just fleshing is time consuming.

Looking forward to hearing more info from others

Bump

was hoping there was some more experience and advice out there.

thanks

I am interested in tanning a bearhide (when I get one) so I'm also interested in what other have to say.
    Youtube is a good resourse as well but sometimes edited to make it look easier than it is.

Update-

fleshing sucks, trying to get the last bit of membrane of the skin.

So far filleting off this thin layer with a sharp knife has been working but slow.
    Thinking I might let the hide dry more and use a palm sander and a scraper to get the rest.

I’ve also rubbed a healthy amount of borax into the fur to somewhat dry clean it. (Thinking it might work somewhat like the hardwood chips the pro’s use with less mess). I’ll blow and brush it out before I pickle the hide again.

Suns out so I’m going to let it dry a bit more and see what happens....

Cabelas and bass pro both sell
    "The Tannery Basic Home Tanning Kit"

Never used it myself but reviews are ok

ETA: Looks like Amazon sell a bunch of home tanning stuff as well

Chrome tan solution, used to do coyotes with it, works very well. Got it from AAA taxidermy supply in Calgary. A bear is gonna be allot of work when in comes to breaking the leather. Good luck