Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkey - Elkford, Sparwood, or Elko?

Turkey - Elkford, Sparwood, or Elko?

Hey Fellas,

I'm flying in from Ontario for the first time to hunt in BC and I'm really exciting to experience the topography and wildlife. At the moment I have 3 places in mind for bumping into turkeys but I'm not sure if these areas have any or are even prime habitats for them.

My original spot is just north of Elkford but I'm worried it might be a little too north for them. The second spot is a little south east of Sparwood, and my last option would be south east of Elko. I'll be driving in from Calgary Airport and really have no idea what to expect, I'm also a little curious how much colder it is climbing about 2000ft of elevation to get a good glassing spot.

Thanks in advance!

-Peter
    Last edited by P11; 04-08-2016 at 06:27 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Turkey - Elkford, Sparwood, or Elko?

I live and hunt around Elkford and have never seen a turkey north of Elkford, how ever south by Grave lake seems to hold some turkeys. I hope this helps!

Very few pockets of turkey in the Elk Valley. If south east of Sparwood means the Corbin Road area, maybe some birds there but I haven't seen any. Better off in the trench.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

I saw loads of turkeys last fall in Creston area ....

The Elk Valley is prime habitat for rednecks, which although similar are different than gobblers

There are turkeys on the lower road( old highway between Sparwood and line creek) but I don't know if there is a season for them or if they ever leave private property.

just looked at last yes regs. There is an open season for the area you asked about, but I'd say your wasting your time looking in that area
    Last edited by j270wsm; 04-08-2016 at 12:38 PM.

Best turkey hunting in the EK is Creston or the south end of the Trench right near the US border. A lot of turkeys made it through the winter so the numbers are up. Lots of Birds up near Invermere on the east side of the valley. Really in pockets. Good numbers on the westside of Koocanusa lake again near the border. Not a lot of birds near Sparwood and Elkford.
    Resident hunter

go to koocanusa

None of the above to be honest......

Head west further and south.

Along the BC Washington boarder.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc