Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BC Bucket List

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Re: BC Bucket List

Its all in ones Live Journey not in the Destination. Only a very few see the Light and act upon it before it is to late.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

I couldn’t agree more, this one was of my all time favourite trips for many reasons. Life changing.

So year one of this quest was amazing.

Hunt 1-I took two 30 yr old buddies ( I’m 53) into an area I had researched and found for stone sheep. Tough pack in and actually tore a ligament in my foot on day two of the pack in. This made for a tough few days but we got it done. I passed on 3 broomed rams, just wasn’t comfortable shooting on age. We got my partners to within 15 yards of the biggest double broomed ram and 11 of his friends, the boys sat on them for 5 hours and were able to age him at 8 visible rings, and my buddy was able to shoot his first ram. 37 rams counted in 13 days.

Hunt 2 was a week long backpack elk hunt on the Tuchodi with my 2 sons. We were not able to connect on an elk but did have some encounters with sub legal bulls and had an amazing adventure.

Hunt 3-My daughter and one of my boys came up to hunt mule deer. We have a place on Green Lake and this gives us the ability to hunt region 3 and 5. October 30 my daughter connected on a nice young 4 point in region 3. One of my boys was able to come up for a few days and we actually connected him on a nice 4x3 on Halloween day.

Hunt 4- I took advantage of COVID and went on a meat hunt for Alberta moose with an outfitter buddy and shot a nice young bull.

Hunt 5- I hunted region 5 solo near the Fraser for the last week of the season and connected on a nice heavy 4 point. Packed out the entire deer, bone in quarters, meat, cape, head all in one shot. Note to self, “ make two trips next time”!

Hunt 6- My daughter had the cow elk draw near Smithers in January. She ended up killing a very nice dry cow. Thanks to all the local help we had finding elk and a special thanks to the ranchers for the generous permission to access their land.

I couldn’t have asked for a more successful and rewarding season. My goal was to try and hunt, harvest and pack out one or two animals this year. With the exception of the moose ( used a quad to retrieve), and my daughters elk ( used two skimmers) we packed everything out. We got try out all kinds of new gear and of course a few different rifles.

We have a fly in hunt booked for sheep opener and a fly in caribou, goat, moose combo booked for mid Sept. Once we see if the leh gods are shining on us or not we can plan some more hunts.

I just want to shout out to the members on this site for all the help, ideas, and tips that they passed on. I spend a lot of time sharing information, sometimes too much, but I still believe that what it’s all about?

Be safe and let’s bid up the auction items at the WSS auction tonight!

thanks
    Chuck

Good stuff 264! As I enter the senior citizen years of my life cycle I think about my mortality a lot more. I have always based my life and world around hunting and will always do so. I dont have a bucket list and will continue to hunt as much as I can. As you said, the killing of an animal has become a small part of the hunt. Finding an animal and dropping the hammer on an empty chamber is a satisfying success to me! Helping others with their hunts is very rewarding to me as well. I have been thinking about trying to film my adventures so I can leave something behind for my son to have. Enjoy your family and your outdoor time. Looking forward to your future posts.

Wow awesome read, and a great bucket list.

I grew up hunting with dad, and then, well you know life happens. You get married, you have kids and you put all that hunting aside. Well I did anyways for a number of years, too many. With the kids growing up and being teens, we decided it was time to get back into it, and at the same time teach the teens some good old fashioned hunting. The last 6 years has been buying gear, a few of everything, to get set up, but has had its rewards. I have helped one son take a nice 4x3 mule on his first year, my daughter was able to connect on a young buck. Great adventure for even the younger ones as they got to participate and help.
    Any how, enough of that on me. This is great to read and its nice to enjoy part of your adventures on your bucket list. Even greater to enjoy it alone with family and friends. Looking forward to reading along with your adventures for this next year, and keep us posted along the way.

Stay safe.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I certainly miss my visits with Kevan & Linda, wonderful people, if I needed any advice Kevan was always there for me and I was honoured to call him my friend.

Good luck with your bucket list Chuck, I’m going to do my best to work on mine as well with a Stone Sheep and a Bighorn Ram.....then the mythical monster Mule Deer !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    I certainly miss my visits with Kevan & Linda, wonderful people, if I needed any advice Kevan was always there for me and I was honoured to call him my friend.

Good luck with your bucket list Chuck, I’m going to do my best to work on mine as well with a Stone Sheep and a Bighorn Ram.....then the mythical monster Mule Deer !
    And Maybe with a Bit of Luck and Hard Work a CALI too ! RJ

264 mag . It seems you have cherished memories of your father that is indeed great thing to have !
    Good luck with your bucket list !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

If you knew Kevan you know that he was the ultimate gun nut. Part of this little mission is to use as many different rifles as possible. I like to quote one of his favourite lines. "Guns are like foster kids, I adopt them, raise them for awhile then release them to another parent".

For the 2020 season we used the following:
    Stone sheep, buddy used a browning x bolt 300wsm, 180 gr nosler accubond 230 yards
    My kids mule deer, my son shot his with his kimber hunter in 6.5 cm 75 yards, and my daughter shot her mule deer 125 yards and elk 100 yards with her semi custom t3 in 6.5 cm, both guns shoot 143 gr eldx factory ammo into one hole groups.
    My moose. 340 yards and mule deer 210 yards were both killed with my hs precision 2000 in 325 wsm, 200 gr Nosler Accubond.
    Just to note all of these animals were killed with one shot.

For 2021 my kids will use their 6.5 CM's and I have 3 new guns on the roster:
    Christensen Arms Ridgeline 300 wsm rebarreled with a 20 inch IBI carbon tube. Zeiss v4-4-16x44, 8 lbs scoped
    Tikka t3 custom in 6.5 prc, wildcat stock, 20 inch IBI lightweight hunter fluted tube. Swaro z5 3.5-18 Just waiting on the stock and GEF is going to finish it for me.
    Pre 64 model 70, 404 Jefferey, Bevan King tube, Gary Flach combined two of my uncles guns and a handmade GEF stock and built this gun for me. This is the nicest rifle I have had in my hands. Gary is a master craftsman.