Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly reels-large arbor

Fly reels-large arbor

Ok I’ve been looking through many online stores at fly reels, so here’s what I’m thinking, I’m looking for a decent reel, large arbor and looks the part... since there are so many damn reels I’m having a tough time deciding, looking for one that can get a spare spool as well. So my budget is 100-300,can I get anything decent with that?
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fly reels-large arbor

If you can find them... Dragonfly chilcotin is in your price range.

If you can handle the drive into Richmond go talk to the guy's at Berry's bait on Westminster avenue. great deals there.
    I feel more like i do now than i did before i got here

What size reel are you looking for? Trout? Salmon? There are some very functional but not necessarily pretty reals out there. For example I have a couple of Sage 1880's that work great and I have no worries about banging them around in the boat, unlike my Islanders etc. Lamson has an inexpensive offering. For trout fishing you don't need a large arbour and some sort of Hardy knock-off like the Daiwa sf 706 are bargains.

I should have said, for trout and 5wt.. the one thing mentioned above is getting banged around the boat, it will get banged around so buying an expensive probably isn't the best idea... something that is all around good and proven? That make sense?
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    Ok I’ve been looking through many online stores at fly reels, so here’s what I’m thinking, I’m looking for a decent reel, large arbor and looks the part... since there are so many damn reels I’m having a tough time deciding, looking for one that can get a spare spool as well. So my budget is 100-300,can I get anything decent with that?
    https://www.amazon.ca/Piscifun-Weigh...fun+fly&sr=8-2.

Bought one of these last year for my 3wt. Well machined/anodized and spin true. Can’t beat the reel/ spare spool pricing in my opinion. And I’ll add this, great smooth drag when the big ones on the line. I’m buying another soon.
    * I’ve got $400 reels that don’t feel any different *
    Last edited by Ride Red; 06-08-2020 at 09:51 AM.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

It's easy to get good quality inexpensive reels these days. I would love to upgrade large arbor reels but I have so many nice older ones that I can't justify changing them out. I bought a bunch of stuff at an estate sale years ago and have at least triple my needs. As nice as it is to get shiny toys - I have no reason to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    https://www.amazon.ca/Piscifun-Weigh...fun+fly&sr=8-2.

Bought one of these last year for my 3wt. Well machined/anodized and spin true. Can’t beat the reel/ spare spool pricing in my opinion. And I’ll add this, great smooth drag when the big ones on the line. I’m buying another soon.
    * I’ve got $400 reels that don’t feel any different *

Thanks I'll take a look! In all honesty don't need a wall hanger as it will get some abuse

Reddington Rise. All aluminum, carbon drag, large arbor, you can get spare spoils and they look nice. $200-$300 good warranty. I have 2 and like them.