Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: grouse with the 45/70

Re: grouse with the 45/70

Yea and I use RUM in my WSM when I feel like getting crazy. so does the 410 hurt the 45/70 or not?

soft lead pellets rattling down a big bore probably wont do any real damage. Since there is no steel shot available for 410s that eliminates that potential issue.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

my uncle has has an old 45/70 that my grandpa gave him and all he uses out of it is .410 shells...i think the barrel might have been changed on it though..
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

From Guns and Ammo Gun Blog:

"Rifling is essential when firing single projectiles but can sure wreck a shot pattern. The rifling causes shot to scatter quickly and even patterns are tough to come by."

This target illustrates how quickly the .410 loads scatter when fired from the Judge. The load used here is Winchester number 4's and the pattern on the head of the silhouette target was fired at five feet and the pattern to the body was fired at ten feet.
    ANY SOCIETY THAT WOULD GIVE UP A LITTLE LIBERTY TO GAIN A LITTLE SECURITY WILL DESERVE NEITHER AND LOSE BOTH.

- Benjamin Franklin

bang away as a single shot works great

reading over at canadian gun nutz, some people said that the 45/70 or 444 will also cycle the shells out of the mag in a marlin lever gun?
    Animals gotta die too - Don't let them survive you!

Wouldn't the plastic wad protect the rifling from damage? Sounds like a good idea to me as long as you were close enough that the pattern wasn't all spun out of control.

the rifling in a barrel is made of steel and the shot is lead. The barrel is much stronger then the bird shot and the rifle can handle a lot more pressure then a 410 shotgun I wouldn't be concerned about the shot hurting the barrel my only concern would be ejecting the shell.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

I'm gonna try it next week.

My dad said that when he was doing this he was loading them into the action without putting them through the magazine, he said its great for grouse up to 40 ft and is just the thing for if your big game hunting and you decide to pop grouse while your walking. The only thing was that he had to eject the shells by pulling them out with his fingernail due to the extractor claw not suiting the 410 shell but said that there was no struggling at all and they poped out rather easily.
    I am a member of..
    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals