Thread: Google Earth topographic layer

Google Earth topographic layer

Anybody got a KML file or series of KML files for BC topographic maps on Google Earth? I found the index file for the National Topographic Sysrem and I know the map numbers for the particular areas I'm interested in. I'm hoping to find a digital layer that I can add to Google Earth and switch back and forth between satellite view and topographic while escouting.
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Google Earth topographic layer

Have you tried downloading from maps.canada.ca?

i selected the layers I want and filled a form, then they emailed me the file which I could overlay on google earth.

Quote Originally Posted by acal57 View Post
    Anybody got a KML file or series of KML files for BC topographic maps on Google Earth? I found the index file for the National Topographic Sysrem and I know the map numbers for the particular areas I'm interested in. I'm hoping to find a digital layer that I can add to Google Earth and switch back and forth between satellite view and topographic while escouting.
    Thanks
    Have you looked at iMapBC?

I have had great luck with using the google maps 3D function it had been a game changer for the hike I print off half a dozen double sided pictures and laminate.

openstreetmap.org, select the "Cycle Map" layer. I use JOSM (https://josm.openstreetmap.de/), then load all the layers you want, including the OpenStreetMap topo. I put links to a bunch of other useful government layers in another thread http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...96#post2096296

you can download QGIS free, I recommend at this time using version 3.10 long term release, then watch youtube and learn how to import raster layers, there are numerous satellite and topographic choices, its not the most simple system but it is definitely one of the most versatile programs available right now.