Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What size shot for Duck Hunting

What size shot for Duck Hunting

Well I am now trying duck hunting however it seems I can't hit anything. I am using #2 size steel shot in 2/34 shells. Can you tell me if this is the right stuff. The shot doesn't even seem to phase the ducks - even at close range.

Also tips on leading the shot would help.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What size shot for Duck Hunting

you might want to post in the waterfowling section at http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43

your question requires more info and the answer is complex. search for Ian's tips on duck hunting in the waterfowling section - he and Dano are great resources.

assuming you can put the pellets where they should be, a #2 load of 1 1/8 oz will work fine for ducks out to 30 yards
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Try a load of 4's. Get a whack more pellets in the air, and kill's 'em pretty dead still if they are coming to the deke's. (Not recommended for pass shooting though)

If you are hitting the birds with #2 steel shot, they will drop most of the time.
    Quote" The shot doesn't even seem to phase the ducks - even at close range. " I would guess you are missing them.... I had a new hunter out a few weeks ago and the kid fired over a box of shells, most at less than 30 yards. He dropped one bird all morning and that one dropped hard. Have you shot any trap or skeet?
    Tips on lead?.... On crossing shots, point the gun at the bird, follow it and then move the gun ahead of it. When you pull the trigger, keep swinging the gun or else you will stop and shoot behind the bird. On birds coming right over me, I start with the gun behind the bird and move past it and fire. Angle and height effect the amount of lead you use, the lower and closer a bird the smaller the amount of lead.
    Hope this helps,
    Dan
    P.S. Two other tips, if a flock comes in, pick out one bird and stay on it. You'll get more birds too if you cut down on long "hail Mary" shots. You get better hits and downed birds if shots are under 35 yards.
    Buddi doing what she does best!

I shoot #2's or #3 in 2 3/4 inch for all my duck hunting and do really well.

Put the lead on the bird and shoot well and they go down.

lead? or lead?
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

i'd hope he's not putting lead on the bird :S

Quote Originally Posted by o2fish2day View Post
    Well I am now trying duck hunting however it seems I can't hit anything. I am using #2 size steel shot in 2/34 shells. Can you tell me if this is the right stuff. The shot doesn't even seem to phase the ducks - even at close range.

Also tips on leading the shot would help.
    if your not hitting them size doesn't matter. if you are hitting them 2 3/4 2's are plenty.
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

I find leads shoots so much better