Thread: Small Game Sausages???

Small Game Sausages???

Hi Guys.

I have heard guys talk about using snowshoe hare to make game sausages. Has anyone on HuntingBC ever tried this?

Also, I'm trying to get my wife to eat small game. If I can get her to like game, she will actually will send me hunting. . . you get the picture. I would LOVE it if anyone had really yummy small game recipies that wouldn't put a fussy eater off that they would be willing to share, because I would rather spend more time hunting, and less time buying prepackaged chicken.
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Small Game Sausages???

I don't think sausages will work well with hares. Best to slow cook hare to get the meet tender. Are you going to slow cook your sausages? Plus hare has a strong game taste that I don't think you can hide without the slow cook method - even then it tastes strong - it taste like hare. Domestic rabbit is milder tasting and cooked well it can certainly taste like chicken - but again, slow cooked is best.

Best way for you is to experiment. make small batches and fry it up in patties to see if you're onto something. maybe tiny hare sausage meatballs?

I would hate to debone enough hares to make a respectable amount of sausage... indian butter bunny and stews for me.

Sounds like a good idea. Dont need to make big batches. I did this with some ducks last fall. Made enough to have for lunch and breakfasft. Small game will be very lean so you'd probably want to cut it with a bit of pork or beef fat.

Id recommend just making fresh sausage patties and not casing them. I do this when trying something new and a great way to quickly make a small batch of something. You can buy the pre made sausage spice kits or google them. Lots of simple recipes out their and you can tweak to suit your taste.

Can't help with sausage recipes but our favourite way to eat hare is the go to Asian style flavourings to make lettuce wraps.
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

I’ve never tried with hare, but I saw a turkey apple sausage patty on meateater that looked good. I looked up the recipe and made it with ruffed grouse instead of turkey. It turned out really well, my new go to for shot up birds I think.

Patties are your best way . Your meat won't be tough once it's ground . Contact Stuffers in Vancouver for some sausage flavours . They have all kinds of premixes .

Found this recipe, sounds pretty good.

• 1 dressed and boned rabbit (6 pounds), cut up
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
    • 1-1/4 teaspoons white pepper
    • 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
    • 2 tablespoons canola oil

• In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In a food processor, process the mixture in small batches until coarsely ground. Stir in apple.
    • Shape into 16 patties, 3 in. each. Heat oil in a skillet; cook patties over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side or until sausage is browned and meat is no longer pink
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

Quote Originally Posted by barry1974w View Post
    I’ve never tried with hare, but I saw a turkey apple sausage patty on meateater that looked good. I looked up the recipe and made it with ruffed grouse instead of turkey. It turned out really well, my new go to for shot up birds I think.
    THAT is a great idea. ��
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell

Never made hare sausage but I have made both duck and goose sausage. Good way to use older, tougher birds.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!