Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instead of egg-addling why not egg eating?

Instead of egg-addling why not egg eating?

There have been a few articles locally commenting on the apparent explosion in urban geese in Vancouver. The city has an active addling program that apparently has been on hold because of COVID. Of course there is no political way the cities would allow hunting in the various parks but then I thought why not allow egg harvesting? Apparently the First Nations did so traditionally (as well as netting the adults during moulting season).

Beyond the politics of this, is there any reason why this couldn't work? Are goose eggs not good? From my search apparently goose eggs have a stronger taste - no different from how wild fowl differs in taste from farmed fowl then?

Of course collecting eggs will make geese lay another clutch. If so, then extend the theoretical collecting season?
    Last edited by silveragent; 07-13-2020 at 07:48 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Instead of egg-addling why not egg eating?

The shitkicking you would take trying to get a Canada’s eggs would not be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    The shitkicking you would take trying to get a Canada’s eggs would not be worth it.
    And how do you think they addle an egg ? If they take the eggs away the goose will continue to lay more .

How about cooking up the addled eggs, they would be already scrambled.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    And how do you think they addle an egg ? If they take the eggs away the goose will continue to lay more .
    Thanks Dannybuoy, that was my point. But I guess the 'professional egg addlers' have some training in fighting or distracting the geese. Which to us hunters would be no big deal. Any urbanites who want to engage in this could quickly learn.

I think the fact the geese replace clutches that are taken is one of the better criticisms. But if the 'season' is long enough surely the 'egg take' would still have some effect and multiple layings could be targeted. Also, apparently some egg addling strategies replace the goose eggs with frozen replacements, but that would probably be a step no 'egg hunter' would bother with.

Also disturbing the nest would also have some effect in harassing the geese to move on from the precious urban parks.

Quote Originally Posted by carnivore View Post
    How about cooking up the addled eggs, they would be already scrambled.
    I'm sure some of the paid egg addlers have tried it!

My point behind opening it up to the public is that if successful the city would no longer have to employ egg addlers.

Could pay some neighbourhood kids to do it, and toughen up some of those city kids while they’re at it. Couple kids become professional goose fighters, and a couple others rip in and shake up the eggs! Images of that dude punching the kangaroo in the face because it had his dog in a headlock come to mind. Them pea heads on long ropy necks would be a real challenge, not to mention if one of them pinchy beaks grabbed you in a bad spot....like about beak height or so.....yikes.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

ole......from the goosador

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    They wear a full suit of armour.

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    I'm sure some of the paid egg addlers have tried it!

My point behind opening it up to the public is that if successful the city would no longer have to employ egg addlers.
    Ahh good point actually .... I don't know how one could tell how fresh the eggs were if one was "harvesting" them