Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of boat or kayak...

What kind of boat or kayak...

Have been toying with buying a "boat" for a while now and ready to pull the trigger. That said, I am still on the fence on what kind of boat to get. I don't have storage space for a trailer and a full size boat. So I have been tossing the idea of an inflatable dingy or a kayak style boat. Uses will be - ideally - fishing (with clear and accepted limits on the size of lake I can get with these) and duck hunting... I realize neitehr is ideal but, given my constraints, I can't come up with a better compromise....

Thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What kind of boat or kayak...

I bought a pelican catch 120 sit on top kayak (12') for just these uses and it has been by and large very good for both fishing & duck hunting. easily stable enough to shoot out of & to stand up in for casting if you're not in a windy or fast current situation or if you have the dog with you. doesn't paddle as easily or track as well as a more typical narrow kayak but you wouldn't expect that. I fitted mine with a homemade motor mount & use either an electric trolling motor or small gas motor depending on the situation. pushes it along quite well though by no means as fast as a regular boat with bigger motor. tried lots of different blind setups on it for duck hunting but in the end settled on a ghillie suit for me & just cover the kayak itself with the typical marsh type burlap sheet. works well enough & no fussing putting it on or off. lots of companies make these sit on top kayaks of similar size. any should work & lots of reviews out there. one last note, I use a folding kayak cart to move mine. mine is too heavy for one guy to carry easily but with it strapped to the cart I can keep all my fishing stuff in it & just roll the kayak to where I need to go. it sits on the cart while in storage too so it is easy to get to the truck for loading. overall a good system with lots of versatility.

If you have room, an inflatable zodiac type with a 9.9 hp short leg motor. As they are inflatable, they can be folded up and put away. They are very stable for fishing and or duck hunting.
    "Gun control"...... is hitting what you aim at!!!!

If you go for a kayak, You can always build a stabilizer for it with PVC pipes.

I don't do this yet but it is my "someday" goal. I lurk this Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/338255616328219/ "Kayak Hunting"

I've owned a few kayaks and I know guys who love them, but personally I really like a 12 foot aluminum. These days I run a 12 foot jon boat which I transport on top of an SUV, and I really like this setup. I started with an electric motor, which is a great option on calm water, but I recently upgraded to a portable Merc 3.5.

I'm a big guy (6'4") and I can easily load and unload the boat, but for some it would be a struggle. Now that my boy is 14, it's super easy to manage when he's with me. The motor weighs less than 40lbs, and can be transported on its side in the vehicle, and those new 4 strokes are a dream to operate: fuel-efficient, quiet, nice low idle for trolling for kokanee.
    Last edited by TreeStandMan; 06-02-2020 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling is real
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

I just met a guy with one of those folding 12' boats... he had a 2hp motor and it looked pretty sweet . He was very happy with its performance

Check out the Marlon sp10. It's aluminum and only 120ish lbs so moving it around is simple. You could customize it to suit whatever your needs are. Super stable and holds 2 full size guys easily. I just fish out of mine but it could be made into a duck boat/blind. Just throw it in the truck and away you go!

Build you a canoe!

That canoe is gorgeous. Nice work.

To the OP, I had an inflatable boat for a few years. They are portable and packable but they are also heavy and unwieldy and most are a pain to set up and take down. Engines get very heavy very quickly. Fwiw, I have a 14' jon with an electric motor and an old Evinrude 15hp for when the electric isn't enough. I hunt ducks in Delta with the electric no problem though.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?