Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: LEH site not working

Re: LEH site not working

if you went to the liquor store 10 minutes before closing and there was a 50 person line up, who would you blame if you didnt get in before closing...would you not try to go earlier next time?

Site crashing on the last day for applications and on the day the draw results come out has been the norm every since it went on line.

These government sites whether it be camping, LEH CERB have not joined the world of automatic scaling based on demand. This is pretty simple stuff in the world of virtualization and would probably work out to be cheaper in the long run. For systems that are 99.9% idle most of the year and saturate resources for a small portion of the year, it just makes sense. I work in the industry and can recognize shoddy work that doesn't pass as being acceptable by any means.

I doubt they will fix it anytime soon, so we just need to work around it and make sure we don't wait until the last day or even the last few days. It's a lesson, as not everyone is aware. People get burned because of it every year. Posts like this to bring awareness to it are helpful. It draws attention, helps others and maybe the more people recognize that avoiding the last few days is the way to go, that maybe the last day it will stop crashing.

Good luck to all on their draws and sorry to hear some people got burned again by the last day problems. I only put in for a doe in 3-14. No elk, moose or anything else as I plan to focus 100% on unsuccessfully chasing BT's

I'll never lump our government into Properly Functioning Business territory, LOL. But seriously, mucho tax dollars were spent designing an overly-complex system that fails at the same point every year, whether we're talking about the LEH system or camping reservation system. A properly functioning business that knows exactly how many users they have, with several years of history of when those users typically log on to use the service, would design their systems to adapt to demand.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Hey Retired GUY !

Theres a "LOT " of good Fishing lakes that have no where to camp BUT at at Provincial Campground - 1 Such is Big Bar Lake -another is Tunkwa and NOT all are as you described either ! Public use lands are NOT available on a lot of lakes in BC ! Also as you get older and retired its no where as EASY as it was to just camp where ever as it was when younger ! RJ
    Big Bar and Tunkwa.....heck I've been to them. Way too many people. I value the peace and quiet as much as the fishing. LOL

And don't give me that old and retired crap...I am both and I have never let that stop me from getting away from it all. The work is good for the failing joints.

I knew there would be some takers. You were too easy.

As for the real topic. I guess I would be ticked if it crashed on me, but experience has taught me that this happens all the time near draw deadlines...and not just in BC. So I hedge my bets and make sure I get things done early as possible so as not to see my blood pressure go through the roof when I am typing away with credit card in hand and the site implodes.

Quote Originally Posted by grantk View Post
    I'll never lump our government into Properly Functioning Business territory, LOL. But seriously, mucho tax dollars were spent designing an overly-complex system that fails at the same point every year, whether we're talking about the LEH system or camping reservation system. A properly functioning business that knows exactly how many users they have, with several years of history of when those users typically log on to use the service, would design their systems to adapt to demand.
    It's easy now and has been for several years to deploy environments that automatically scale based on demand so that 1) You aren't paying for resources that are not being used most of the year and 2) So the site automatically allocates more resources when needed rather than crashing. It's very easy and would likely cost a lot less money.

But it's government... in this case provincial but federal is the same. I think it took them 6 months to get new printer for printing PAL cards. Unless it is costing them votes and it's "mostly" functional, there is not going to be any incentive to fix it. I mean right now as it stands, because of COVID-19, they are not evening printing PAL licenses anymore. My wife renewed back in March, and the license has been approved, but she won't be getting a new card anytime soon. I am not sure why. Is there some big outbreak in Miramichi, NB preventing them from printing and mailing cards? The RCMP has no problem printing letters and mailing them to gun owners about how they might now be in possession of illegal guns. Hmm.

For now, I think it just "is what it is". Spreading the word is the best thing we can do to help people from getting burned. Whenever I tell others I am planning hunts with on what hunt code to apply for, I always emphasize not waiting until the last day. Of course my brother did... he said he was going to try at 4AM... not sure if he did or not yet
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-30-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Looks like everyone is on theirs computers today ��

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    Nobody should be surprised. This thread (regardless of who starts it) and the last minute site crash are inevitable, annually. Go ahead and complain, but you have only yourself to blame.
    I’ll never understand why people who love hunting wait until the absolute last day. Nobody is “too busy” to find 5 mins over the 6-8 week period and apply.
    and that should make a DIFFERENCE to whether the System is FUNCTIONING properly ? I agree not to wait to the bitter end BUT some people have Legit reasons to ! What about the Parks system starting from the begining - should i wait 2-3 days ? ubtil they get it right and then all the places are reserved ? WTH ?
    Quit making Excuses for our SAD SACK goverment ! There BAD enough already ! RJ

This thread is about LEH, not parks.
    Waiting until the last second to do ANYTHING in life is leaving much to chance.
    Do you wait until morning of departure on your annual hunt to see if your gear is in working order? Do you wait until the day of your big bbq and then get pissy that the butcher shop was out of what you wanted?
    All the whining reminds me of my teenage kids blaming everyone else. Take responsibility, learn your lesson and move on.
    Twist and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    This thread is about LEH, not parks.
    Waiting until the last second to do ANYTHING in life is leaving much to chance.
    Do you wait until morning of departure on your annual hunt to see if your gear is in working order? Do you wait until the day of your big bbq and then get pissy that the butcher shop was out of what you wanted?
    All the whining reminds me of my teenage kids blaming everyone else. Take responsibility, learn your lesson and move on.
    LMFFAO ! RJ

I agree with everyone on not waiting till last minute. That said, the government site is a major TURD and it's not surprising it crashes.

Bc doesnt even have that many hunters. Of those not everyone applies for LEH. And we have a site that crashes if theres even a couple thousand people on it during that ONE week out of the year and almost zero users the rest of the year.

If it was any worse it would be HBC