Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: LEH site not working

Re: LEH site not working

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    It's easy now and has been for several years to deploy environments that automatically scale based on demand so that 1) You aren't paying for resources that are not being used most of the year and 2) So the site automatically allocates more resources when needed rather than crashing. It's very easy and would likely cost a lot less money.
    Bottom line......as Chris said above if easy fix with automatic scale based hosting then do it. They rake in a ton of our money from LEH that would easily cover the minor cost. We should not accept a mediocre system when there is an easy solution.

Originally Posted by caddisguy
    It's easy now and has been for several years to deploy environments that automatically scale based on demand so that 1) You aren't paying for resources that are not being used most of the year and 2) So the site automatically allocates more resources when needed rather than crashing. It's very easy and would likely cost a lot less money.

Bottom line......as Chris said above if easy fix with automatic scale based hosting then do it. They rake in a ton of our money from LEH that would easily cover the minor cost. We should not accept a mediocre system when there is an easy solution.

Exactly ! For all You " you should have done it sooner - its not the govs fault " guys - it is the Govs FAULT ! jmo RJ

LOL I love it when guys wait till the last minute and increase my odds.

I don't get you guys. If I head for a ferry on a long weekend and am one of the few cars that misses the last sailing, who's fault is that. Should they put on another sailing? At what cost? I did actually experience this and spent an uncomfortable night in the car, but I only had to look in the mirror to know who's fault it was. If you miss a flight because you had to have another cup of coffee and then the traffic was terrible, who's at fault? The airline? People that wait til the last minute to do something should not be surprised when it doesn't go well. Just apply during the WEEKS before the deadline. As someone else said, used to be guys bitching about the postal service or asking about couriers and wondering why can't it be done on line. Now you can do it in 5 minutes sitting at home and people are still bitching. Why? cause same as the mail they waited to long.

Should the government make a better faster system, yes
    Will the majority of the people who submitted late and crashed the site and missed the deadline do the same thing next year, yup
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

not to worry pretty soon you will have to go to your local band office to apply

Quote Originally Posted by nornscreek View Post
    not to worry pretty soon you will have to go to your local band office to apply
    Unfortunately I THINK you are correct Indians will be in charge of F&G in BC ! We can thank the Phucking New Dumb Pricks party for this ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    Yes I have never understood the draw to the "camping" at the park facilities. All tucked in by your neighbours twenty yards away in the next campsite. People swarming around and ghetto blasters playing. Kids screaming. Pack a few sticks of wood from the pre-cut and stacked wood area to your campfire. Park rangers walking and driving around checking on the campers out for their "wilderness" experience. That isn't camping!!!

Go out into the middle of nowhere and set up a camp and relax with no people around or hit one of the remote campsites that are on the small lakes many miles from town.

People are such pussies these days.
    Good words can't agree with you more on your thoughts
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by fearnodeer View Post
    LOL I love it when guys wait till the last minute and increase my odds.
    To funny LOL
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    I don't get you guys. If I head for a ferry on a long weekend and am one of the few cars that misses the last sailing, who's fault is that. Should they put on another sailing? At what cost? I did actually experience this and spent an uncomfortable night in the car, but I only had to look in the mirror to know who's fault it was. If you miss a flight because you had to have another cup of coffee and then the traffic was terrible, who's at fault? The airline? People that wait til the last minute to do something should not be surprised when it doesn't go well. Just apply during the WEEKS before the deadline. As someone else said, used to be guys bitching about the postal service or asking about couriers and wondering why can't it be done on line. Now you can do it in 5 minutes sitting at home and people are still bitching. Why? cause same as the mail they waited to long.
    I'm not arguing that I couldn't have logged in earlier and probably wouldn't have had a problem... I know full-well that is the case. I've submitted early every year up to now, and will be extra certain to submit early in the future. BUT, the point is that the only reason it's an issue is because of a poorly designed web service that took years to implement, undoubtedly cost a ton of our money to develop, and still has the same problem (apparently) every year. We're not talking huge volumes of traffic here... remember that LEH's were still entered manually up until a few years ago.

Since we're making up analogies, the correct analogy would be BC Ferries telling their customers that there's only 100 sailings available in September, and that you must login to their website and pay $6 per sailing that you'd like to have a chance at purchasing an actual ticket for a ride in September. BC Ferries says that you may not phone or mail-in your reservation requests, you must use their new website only. The website must be awesome, because they talked about it and delayed its release for years while it was perfected. No more waiting in lines or on hold, or trying to guess how many days Canada Post will take to get your reservation request delivered. This is a lucrative opportunity for BC Ferries, as there's no longer any overhead of customer service agents making reservations; they just can pocket all the revenue coming in.

They open the reservation window on April 22, and tell everyone that requests must be made by midnight on May 29th. For whatever reason, on May 29th you find yourself on BC Ferries website trying to login and pay for a reservation request several hours before their deadline. Maybe an old friend just called and said they'd be in BC in September and you want to visit, maybe you just got a new job and now have some time to travel in September that you didn't have before, or maybe you simply forgot to do it earlier... life's busy.

You try to login and the website is broken... nothing loads, just cryptic error messages. "That's weird," you think to yourself, "I just streamed the daily high-definition government announcement letting me know that 4 people out of 5 million caught COVID today, how can the BC Ferries site servicing a few islanders possibly be down? This is 2020, right?" You try again over the next few hours until the deadline passes, with no improvement.

Turns out that the new super-expensive, awesome website is just running on the old laptop in the corner of the summer intern's office who was put in charge of the project, and most of the money they've been making from the reservation program seems to have been directed elsewhere rather than making improvements to the ferry system, even to initiatives trying to phase out BC Ferries and cut off islanders from accessing the mainland. You try and point out to your fellow islanders that the BC ferry website should be much better equipped in this age to deal with known periods of heavy demand, especially given how much time and money was put into building it, and they remind you that as a paid-for service with no alternatives, BC Ferries has no obligation to ensure that they can continue serving their customers up until their own service deadline. LMAO. Oh well, there's always next year.