Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moose vs Caribou LEH permits

Re: Moose vs Caribou LEH permits

Could someone explain why this is not good ? Please explain the relationship between the moose and the Caribou ?I know nothing about Caribou
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    A read of the BC Limited Entry Hunting Regs Synopsis shows an extraordinary increase in cow/calf moose permits for the second year in a row in areas with Caribou herds. In addition, permits for cow/calf moose in the Kootenays have more than doubled from 98 in 2019 to 210 in 2020.
    Can current moose populations withstand this?

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sp...h_synopsis.pdf
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    Any input from BCWF on this ????
    https://www.facebook.com/21203476886...5647570836606/

Hmmm okay I think I get it now !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

This is not a new management tactic for the government to manage caribou populations, it’s been done in the north for years. They just started it in the Kootenay’s a couple years ago. The area north east of PG and south east of Mackenzie has seen this strategy for many years resulting in lots of leh with good success in getting a draw but come fall hunters can’t find a moose because numbers are so low.
    The rationale is lower moose numbers will result in lower wolf numbers and lower wolf numbers means less caribou getting eaten by wolves. Moose are the wolves main food source and drives their population numbers. The strategy is all about protecting the caribou from wolf predation.
    i work in the area north of Revelstoke where the big increase in cow leh has occurred in the past 3 seasons. The moose population is down considerably but there are still moose around. It‘a just my observation but I suspect the wolf numbers are also down as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Salix View Post
    This is not a new management tactic for the government to manage caribou populations, it’s been done in the north for years. They just started it in the Kootenay’s a couple years ago. The area north east of PG and south east of Mackenzie has seen this strategy for many years resulting in lots of leh with good success in getting a draw but come fall hunters can’t find a moose because numbers are so low.
    The rationale is lower moose numbers will result in lower wolf numbers and lower wolf numbers means less caribou getting eaten by wolves. Moose are the wolves main food source and drives their population numbers. The strategy is all about protecting the caribou from wolf predation.
    i work in the area north of Revelstoke where the big increase in cow leh has occurred in the past 3 seasons. The moose population is down considerably but there are still moose around. It‘a just my observation but I suspect the wolf numbers are also down as well.
    The wolf numbers are down in the Bend/downie loop because they shot all the wolves from a god damn helicopter using Judas wolves.
    The bios think that they got ALL the wolves in the area. Dropping the moose population is a backup plan, as they've been getting death threats because of the wolf cull program, and are worried about wolf populations if they have to stop the cull.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Yup looks like they jumped into bed with the NDP .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by Salix View Post
    Ontario had this same management strategy in Zone 21 iirc. Crazy number of tags and no moose to be found. Also never understood people willingly taking a cow or calf...and then complaining of lower moose numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    Yup looks like they jumped into bed with the NDP .
    They've just posted this response, although it's in draft form...
    For more about the BCWF position on moose and caribou recovery, please read our joint letter with the GOABC, which was sent to the Minister of Forests this month.
    https://bcwf.bc.ca/wp-content/upload...with-GOABC.pdf

Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole