Thread: Interesting read in Wild Fowl Mag.

Interesting read in Wild Fowl Mag.

In the current issue of Wildfowl mag. it has a very interesting article pertaining to dog training in the US. It seems that the Humane Society of the United States and some off shoot organizations are really trying to get bills passed in state legislation's that would end dog training for hunt! Apparently anything that causes a dog discomfort, stress, and pain would be illegal, and how they judge whether the dog is experiencing pain, stress, discomfort is if a human would feel pain, stress, or discomfort. So anything that would cause this would be outlawed, so e-collars, choke chains, underground fences and more. Force fetching would be outlawed. What their doing is basically trying to whittle a way at hunting, one of the many ways that their trying to end hunting.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Interesting read in Wild Fowl Mag.

Hsus = peta
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    GHRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    MHR HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH
    WR SR-UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    SHR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    In the current issue of Wildfowl mag. it has a very interesting article pertaining to dog training in the US. It seems that the Humane Society of the United States and some off shoot organizations are really trying to get bills passed in state legislation's that would end dog training for hunt! Apparently anything that causes a dog discomfort, stress, and pain would be illegal, and how they judge whether the dog is experiencing pain, stress, discomfort is if a human would feel pain, stress, or discomfort. So anything that would cause this would be outlawed, so e-collars, choke chains, underground fences and more. Force fetching would be outlawed. What their doing is basically trying to whittle a way at hunting, one of the many ways that their trying to end hunting.
    Its already happening here. The BC SPCA has done the same.

https://spca.bc.ca/programs-services...-dog-training/

Read this and see if you can get past being called a PET GUARDIAN, I can't. I OWN my animals..... https://spca.bc.ca/wp-content/upload...ods-review.pdf

https://spca.bc.ca/wp-content/upload...-Standards.pdf

Just a tidbit from this stupidity... Standard 10: Dogs’ emotional well-being is prioritized at all times during training sessions10.1.Dogs must always have a choice to participate in a training session and a designated space where they can withdraw (e.g., blanket on floor) whenever this is possible (e.g., indoor space, private outdoor space).10.2.The duration of a training session must not continue beyond a dog’s: a)willingness to participate; orb)physical limitations.10.3.Trainers must recognize and address undesirable emotional states of each dog during a training

"Dogs should not be forced to participate in a training session. For example, it is recommended that dogs have a blanket, towel, crate or quiet area where they may choose to retreat to during training in any indoor or private outdoor spaces. When training in public outdoor spaces, such as on the street or at a dog park, or when training on-leash so the dog is not able to physically withdraw from a situation, trainers must monitor dogs for signs of fear, stress, anxiety, avoidance and lack of engagement."

Kasomor
    Last edited by Kasomor; 06-06-2020 at 06:30 PM.

I feel "stress" every time I go hunting, "will I be succesful", "will I see some game", "will I ................... whatever."
    Wonder how they are going to measure that in a dog?
    The World is nuts.

The problem is not the intent of the humane society and the SPCA. The problem is in the imposition of these standards into law.

A few years ago I would have arbitrarily dismissed all of these initiatives but as I evolve in my understanding of animal behaviors there is some wisdom to be gained from this.

"Dogs should not be forced to participate in a training session. For example, it is recommended that dogs have a blanket, towel, crate or quiet area where they may choose to retreat to during training in any indoor or private outdoor spaces. When training in public outdoor spaces, such as on the street or at a dog park, or when training on-leash so the dog is not able to physically withdraw from a situation, trainers must monitor dogs for signs of fear, stress, anxiety, avoidance and lack of engagement."

While the above statement is a bit “out there” from an intellectual standpoint there is wisdom in being able to read an animal to know when it is under too much stress and the training is becoming unproductive or counterproductive.

Knowing how and when to “destress”, or to not cause undue stress in the animal before it creates problems, will make the ultimate results of your training much more productive.

One of my favorite quotes:

“if I/you/we can’t continue to continue to evolve in our training to make it easier/less painful for the dog to learn, we have no business training them.”

So I wouldn’t arbitrarily dismiss everything in these writings just because they’re from the SPCA. There are a few pearls of good information to be had if a person is open to it.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

I agree labguy. The issue is more important given how both the SPCA and the Human Society have become de facto regulatory agencies who have power over citizens.

So on the one hand they are advocating for one point of view and ALSO are supposed to enforce regulations fairly.

In BC I noticed the SPCA made a statement criticizing the NDP government for using predator control and the moose cull to help the beleagured mountain caribou. If the SPCA were ONLY an advocacy organization I would have no problem with them making such a statement. But they are a de facto enforcement agency as well.