Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring black bear hunt 2020

Spring black bear hunt 2020

Just arrived home last night from an amazing hunting trip. My friend James and I headed up from north van up into the caribou and the plan was to meet up with Steve rupp at camp. James and I have been waiting all year long to be able to head back up for our now annual spring black bear trip, beyond excited !

Before I get into our hunt I just want to give a BIG thank you to Steve and Susan. I was fortunate enough for Steve to pm me his number almost two years ago now. Chatted on the phone with him for an hour and a half for the first time. Planned our first bear hunt last year and was able to meet up with him in the bush.

Steve, you are the most generous, sincere - no bullshit guy I have had the pleasure to meet and to be able to call my friend. Incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. Teaching James and myself and passing down your knowledge for years to come. I am very thankful! I had a blast with you!

And for Susan she is just as amazing and helpful. She puts in a ton of work behind the scenes to help Steve get ready for his trips and was there to help me out this spring hunt. So thank you very much Susan.

now for the hunt...

Our trip was 7 days total with 5 full days of hunting. The weather was all over the map each day with only two sunny hot days and on those two hot days James and I where both able to get a bear. We saw bears everyday , calf/cow moose and grizzly bears as well. On the fourth night Steve and I were coming back to camp. We bump into this bear , I grab my rifle and place a shot into his shoulder/heart. I was very pleased with my shot placement and how fast it all seemed to take place. He went about 30-40 yds before he expired. Now this is my first ever black bear and my god he was a Huuge boar. Has grounded down his front middle teeth to pretty much nothing and thinking he’s around 8-9 years old. Six and a half foot bear at least. Beautiful white coloured Y patch under his chest to boot.
    We get him gutted and back to camp to skin him up with Steve giving us very helpful tips along the way. It was a fairly late night before we were able to go to bed and try and repeat for tomorrow for my buddy James. On the last night James was able to harvest his nice black bear. Same thing , gutted him and back off to camp we go.

Was such an amazing trip and went by way to fast! Dropped off the meat this morning at the butcher and now ALL the pressure is off and I can relax.. now to unpack everything .. joy joy.

Pictures will come, I just have to figure out how to post them so they show up big on the screen. I’m sure I’m missing some other things to mention. The trip right now is kind of blended together as a blur in my mind. Have to still process everything that happened and relax lol.
    Steve if you can PM me your mailing address please.
    Tyler.
    Member of CCFR

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring black bear hunt 2020

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B432CB6F-08E4-4878-95F5-BCFD92E4B0AC.jpg 
Views:	2382 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	7950  
    Member of CCFR

I some one could help me upload some better pics that would be appreciated! I have a very hard time trying to post them up and now I can’t add any more.
    Member of CCFR

Tyler JUST in from Stephen Rutherford..walked in looked at all the bears in...and one HUGE bear he had brought in..
    he looked to show me yours..couldn't find it..Hmm mm

YUP that HUGE BEAR HANGING WAS...YOURS !
    Send me a email..you REALLY need to see your bear..lol

Steven
    Congrads again

Hmm I'm headed out to the travel trailer with a coffee..I'm supposed to be washing floors.l however I'm going to lay on the couch and drink coffee and think back on James..Tyler..our adventure.
    steven

Haha yes I can relate, day dreaming of being back out hunting already
    Member of CCFR

Congrats HT123! You and James were lucky to have Srupp take you under his wing. I have a place up near Deka Lake, I am hopeful to get up to there in the coming weeks and harvest my first bear as well

Thank you! Yes very fortunate to have someone like Steven pass and Share his knowledge down to the next generation of hunters. I’m forever grateful and he’s one hell of a great/ knowledgeable person. Some people may wonder why he took a shining to us. I’ve dived fully into this hunting lifestyle, I absolutely love it. I want to learn as much as I can and I do realize it takes years and years of experience. Steve was teaching us the entire day everyday, trying to soak in as much as I could. Wasn’t honeyholes and al that jazz. We put in the work way before this hunt took place and especially during the hunt. James and I were out alllll day long trying to piece together every helpful tip from Steve and to do it ourselves. It was a great experience and I’ll always remember this trip! Not only because of the bear but because of everything we learned and the great company and friendship from steve
    Member of CCFR

Hmm my privilege, pleasure..you 2 guys will do well..the desire..and willingness to work..and invest in your hunting future..
    I too will fondly remember this adventure.thank you both.
    Cheers
    Your friends
    Susan & Steven Rupp
    PS globalstar changed their minds..lol they can not use any photo with a deceased harvested animal regardless of how tactfully it is displayed, lack of blood..etc..Hmm mm James was correct.

Steven is very good with sharing his knowledge with others . Many hunters come from a non hunting upbringing and those that are willing to share their knowledge are a treasure chest full of advice and knowledge !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !